Engine swap "Cummin" soon | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine swap "Cummin" soon

The time has come for another engine swap in my '95 4 door 4x4.

The previous swap (SOHC/EEC-IV) isnt having problems, but the gas mileage is poor (15 MPG average over the past year).

Here's the patient (95 4 door 4x4):

DSCF1759.jpg

And its soon to be replaced heart ('01 SOHC):

DSCF1742.jpg

So, you may be saying to yourself, "oh boy, another 5.0l swap." The thought had crossed my mind. I have a 94 Cobra, that could use a bigger engine. Here's the 5.0 Cobra engine that could be used:

DSCF1752.jpg

But this is my daily driver and needs to get good mileage. I work 35 miles from home. Thats 70 miles a day, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year (2 weeks vacation) 17,500 miles a year just to get to work. Since I'm running the SOHC on the 95 EEC-IV computer, the higher compression requires me to run 93 octane.

Lets do some simple math:
20,000 miles
15 MPG
$3.75 a gallon (checked the price today on my way home)

Thats $5000 a year in fuel.

What can i swap in that makes power, get good mileage, and will last a few years you ask?

DSCF1750.jpg

Thats right folks.... Its a Cummins 4bt!
An 84K mile,
105 HP,
265 ft-lb
3.9l turbo diesel.

She's a little rusty and the turbos got some play, but for $1200... not bad.

DSCF1751.jpg

DSCF1749.jpg

It also came with a Neon SRT4 intercooler and an aftermarket header.

DSCF1744.jpg

She's clean inside!

DSCF1761.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Installed:

DSCF1787.jpg

DSCF1790.jpg

DSCF1792.jpg

I'll take some better pics during the day and post them.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

That is amazing!

That looks fricking great.

Can you build me one for my 7.3 powerstrok?

What are all the gauges? I see boost, vacuum and that is all I can read.
Whats the left gauge? What are the pillar gauges? Do you have a EGT on there?
When do we get more pictures of the Cummins?
Why am I asking so many questions?

I love the smell of diesel in the morning. :)

Bob

That looks fricking great.

Can you build me one for my 7.3 powerstrok?

What are all the gauges? I see boost, vacuum and that is all I can read.
Whats the left gauge? What are the pillar gauges? Do you have a EGT on there?
When do we get more pictures of the Cummins?
Why am I asking so many questions?

I love the smell of diesel in the morning. :)

Bob

Thanks guys. It really wasnt that hard, just a lot of sanding. I've done quite a few little fiberglass projects over the years, (mostly non-auto related) so I have a good amount of experience, but anyone can do it if they take their time.

You can make one yourself, I have faith in you.

On the bezel:
Pyrometer (EGT)
Boost
Vacuum (I'm running a vacuum pump for the brakes, I want to keep an eye on it.)

On the pillar:
Oil pressure
Water temp

I can post more pics of the Cummins, but there isnt much to show. I'm just waiting for parts. The swap wont start until after the All Truck Nats at Carlisle.

I dont know why your asking so many questions. :D

Are you planning on rerouting the main vents? I thought I'd read that you were gonna make some small ones in place of the 4x4 buttons but I doubt you'd have painted it and finished it first..?

Are you planning on rerouting the main vents? I thought I'd read that you were gonna make some small ones in place of the 4x4 buttons but I doubt you'd have painted it and finished it first..?

I'm still contemplating side vents. This one is done. I pulled the duct extension out and cut it short. I have to glass it shut.
If I find small vents that will flow right with the shape of the bezel, I'll make another one. I've only got about $25 and 10 hours into it.

These are the vents I'm thinking about using. Just the small side part, they are from a 92+ E-series dash.

41e6_2.jpg

My other idea:
I have an E150 with rear a/c that im going to part out. It has rear roof vents. I may adapt that idea and put roof vents in it. Then I wont need the middle vents at all. :thumbsup:

That's awesome! Is love todo a touchscreen monitor in place of the vents, radio, and climate controls but I wouldn't know where to begin to reroute the stuff.

That's awesome! Is love todo a touchscreen monitor in place of the vents, radio, and climate controls but I wouldn't know where to begin to reroute the stuff.

what you want is a carputer.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/

Move the HVAC controls into the console, vents to the roof, and radio built into the computer (hidden in the back). Control it from a touchscreen in the dash.

Those are truly are awesome, but a little more work than what I'm looking todo. I can easily fit an iPad in the brawl without moving the vents, so ill probably ditch my message center, install a nice single din unit down there, along with the hvac and the iPad in the bezel.

How would I go about moving the hvac though, with the shirt vaccuum lines on the back...?

Those are truly are awesome, but a little more work than what I'm looking todo. I can easily fit an iPad in the brawl without moving the vents, so ill probably ditch my message center, install a nice single din unit down there, along with the hvac and the iPad in the bezel.

How would I go about moving the hvac though, with the shirt vaccuum lines on the back...?

Cut them and extend them. Vacuum hose is cheap.

Weekend update:

Between cutting up the 2.5 trees that fell during friday nights storm, I managed to get a little done this weekend.

I picked up and stripped a Jeep D35 with 3.07 gears. I still have to see if the carrier will work in my d35 front before I buy new stuff. Theres not much info out there on putting 3.07s into the IFS carrier.

I replaced my "F" code torsion bars with "A" bars. I have the adjuster bolts backed out about 1.25" from where they were to keep the same ride height. They should help handle the extra weight of the Cummins.

I replaced the upper and lower ball joints.

Edit: I also finished up my center HVAC duct block-off plate.

For A/C vents...if you have the full length console you could run flexible ducts, or steal the ducts to the rear A/C and put vents on the sides of the console(side of the cup holder area of console.) Use adjustable vents so you can aim them at you still.

:notworthy that is sweet.(the guages in the center) can't wait to see it completed, been thinking about taking my 5.0 out and putting in a diesel.

Subscribing!

question on your radio bezel... did you cover the holes on the side for rear wiper switch and defrost button? or is that a ranger bezel?

are you keeping your A/C? i might try fiberglassing some time, that is an awesome place to put 3 gauges, but im not giving up my a/c lol i think it would still be ok using the two side vents....

that looks factory, good job!!!

Subscribing. NICE!

..I might have missed it but what brand gauges are you running and where did you find them?

..I personally like the white faces and the black bezels but can't find them locally..:scratch:

Sport97- I have the short console. I'll probably just put some vents down where the ashtray is.

blazin- Do it.

Ranger379- It actually a Sport trac bezel. So I shaved the rear window switch. I dont have A/C right now. I havent had it since I swapped the SOHC in. I will have A/C when this swap is done, I just wont have vents where my gauges are.

Tbars- They are Autometer Phantoms. I bought the volt meter, water temp, and oil pressure a few years ago for my Cobra from Summit or Jegs, and never used them. The pyrometer, boost, and vacuum came from ebay. They also have the Phantom II, its a little different.

i have the trans temp and diff temp gauges in the AutoMeter Phantom's they are pretty cool looking and on the cheaper side of their price scale. very cool setup. glad to see your still makin progress, cant wait to see it when its all done

Back