• Register Today It's free!

Engine swap for '94

Garrett_Jones

Reaction score
City, State
Lynchburg, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994, Explorer Sport
I've got a 4.0 SOHC engine out of a 2001 Explorer Sport XLT (2wd, 4 door, auto), and I'm about to attempt to put it into my '94 Explorer Sport (2wd, 2 door, manual). Will it even work? If so, what pointers would anyone have to offer? Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't mean to sound rough but that SOHC engine is a downgrade (in my opinion) from what you had in it, from a reliability standpoint. Are you sure that's a SOHC and not the OHV engine? It ran up to 2001.

Also -- it is OBD-II and you would have to take the entire wiring harness from the donor truck, and even then you may have trouble wiring the gauges / dash. Are you going to swap in the 2nd gen dash, too?

Finally, the transmission -- are you swapping in the 2nd gen trans as well?

Then engine that was in it had a blown head gasket on the intake side (and then once I broke it down, I saw that there were several other problems with it as well. Broken bolts, a hairline crack in the head, etc.). And I'm pretty sure it's a SOHC and not an OHV.

I didn't plan on swapping the transmission because I didn't want to have to convert manual to auto.

Finally, the dash. That's a little more in depth on the looks side than I had planned on doing for this project.

Do yourself a favor and replace ALL the timing chains and guides in that engine and use synthetic oil with 3,000 mile oil changes.

Put a SOHC enine in my '94 7 years ago, and love it! It came out of a '97, and also included the 5r55E transmission too.

if you want to leave the original computer in the car just put all of the early sensors on the obii engine.
roscoe

I don't think it'd be compatible like that. Maybe ohv to ohv.

Back