engine swap from 2001 Ranger to 2000 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

engine swap from 2001 Ranger to 2000 Explorer

chum

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer 4X4
Hi all, I have a blown engine 4.0 SOHC in a 2000 Explorer 4X4 that I would like to replace with a 4.0 SOHC out of a 2001 Ranger 4X4. Can anyone tell me what all needs to be used from the blown engine in order to make the swap a success? Or is it evan possible to use the 2001 engine? I noticed that the plugs are different and the valve covers. Help will be appreciated.
Chum

Hi all, I have a blown engine 4.0 SOHC in a 2000 Explorer 4X4 that I would like to replace with a 4.0 SOHC out of a 2001 Ranger 4X4. Can anyone tell me what all needs to be used from the blown engine in order to make the swap a success? Or is it evan possible to use the 2001 engine? I noticed that the plugs are different and the valve covers. Help will be appreciated.
Chum

Just use the long block and whatever else looks the same. The timing cover, oil pan, water pump, balancer ect. are all compatible

engine swap from 2001 ranger to explorer

The engine swap has been completed and worked fairly well, thanks for the information.

The transmission will not shift into overdrive and after a few minutes of driving the od/off light starts to blink. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what might be causing this? The tranny works fine otherwise.

Back