engine swap from mustang to explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

engine swap from mustang to explorer?

chazcheetah22

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer 4.0 XLT
I got a 2001 4.0 explorer XLT.. ive been reading that the mustangs 4.0 will swap fairly easy.. Are they really identical or is there some benefit to doing this? I love the truck but the mpg suck and the same engine in the stang is Alot better would it carry over to my explorer or cancel out the extra mpg.. I haven't found anything very clear on this swap except in reverse.. And to be clear as to not waste anyone's time I'm not asking the how just any possible benefits to doing it..

Also.. If it's at all worth it I'll most likely trade up to a newer explorer before doing it so of a newer one would make a difference there's that

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mustang engine will likely lack the balance shaft in 4x4 Explorers. Only advantage is lower price and better supply.

See I was thinking that the 4 wheel would make it off.. Mines got the switch for it so it's not full time 4 wheel if that would make any difference.. I don't wanna sell it I love the truck but the mpg are just awful

I get 20mpg like many other members, which is excellent for a four wheel drive with a powerful engine like the SOHC. What are your numbers?

Why do you say the engine in the stang is better? It's basically the same right down to its power #s for the 4.0 sohc V6 in both. Someone on here recently said the same thing but never responded back. Are you thinking of the 3.7 in the '11+ Stang, as that is much more powerful and torquey but completely different from the 4.0

Even if you did a swap, wouldn't be any different mpg wise, the Stangs are a lot lighter and different gearing.

frontal area & weight

The main reason the Mustang gets better fuel economy is because it has less frontal area and weighs less than the Explorer. Also, because of the lower coefficient of drag and weight the Mustang can use a more fuel efficient rear axle ratio.

Edit: Sorry beach, you type faster than I do.

The main reason the Mustang gets better fuel economy is because it has less frontal area and weighs less than the Explorer. Also, because of the lower coefficient of drag and weight the Mustang can use a more fuel efficient rear axle ratio.

Edit: Sorry beach, you type faster than I do.

That and getting all that rotating mass moving in the front diff and shafts.

Some of the manual Mustangs have the balance shaft.
It's supposed to alleviate a vibration at low RPMs under high torque conditions.

Damn got real busy sorry guys.. Yeah I haven't checked exact numbers on my mpg but I'd say at best if I baby it and go all highway I might get 20 but I doubt it.. I'm going through like $100 a week on gas and my commute is a total of an hour all highway otherwise it gets the random 3-4 miles around town.. I kinda figured I was grasping at straws on this but I was hoping.. I love the SOHC its a beast but it eats like one too

Man 20 mpg isn't bad. Im not sure I own anything that gets 20 mpg. Certainly not my Explorer.

The 4.0l SOHC is a steaming pile of crap waiting to explode. If you want better gas mileage your best bet is to buy a mustang and drive it.

Back