Engine swap help needed... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine swap help needed...

nofortunatesonII

Reaction score
I recently purchased an '87 Ford Ranger 2WD with a 2.9 engine that needs a rebuild. The vehicle has no transmission, so I don't have to worry about bellhousing differences. I am interested in replacing the 2.9 with a 3.0 as I have read nothing but negatives regarding the 2.9. The 3.0 sounds to be a much better engine. As far as I know, the firing order is the same (non DIS) between the 2.9 and 3.0. Will I be able to use the 2.9 computer with the 3.0? Will a 2.3 trans out of a '98 Ranger 2WD bolt up to the 3.0L? Any problems I may encounter with this swap??? Thanks.

If you're going to do an engine swap I'd say you've got two feasible options

1. put in a new/reman 2.9

2. put in a new/reman 302

I've had the 3.0 in two of my trucks. A 1998 and a 2000 Ranger. They were nothing more than adequate. I was not impressed with the power or mileage on either truck. If you are dead set against another 2.9 then I'd go with the 302. Several companies make the parts needed for the swap and it has been done several times by others. Check rangerpowersports.com for information on doing a 5.0 swap. It would probably cost just as much to put in the 302 as it would the 3.0 but you'll get a much stronger motor. From my previous experience with the 3.0's in my ranger and the 5.0 in my mustang, the mileage was about the same. I can't comment on the reliablility of the 3.0 since I didn't have either truck for more than 36k miles, but the 5.0's are know to be good motors as long as you keep up with oil changes and maintenance.

Back