• Register Today It's free!

Engine swap, hyrdolock

auuustin04

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XL 4WD
Yo, i just hydro locked my 95's engine by going through a really deep puddle. my bud pulled me out, but now im wondering what to do. i've got a 95 XL 4wd, with a manual tranny and the 4.0L OHV. I was wondering of anybody had tried to swap that engine out for either the 4.0L SOHC or the 5.0L V8. looks like buying an egine out of a junk yard might bee cheaper than paying the bill to fix my old one. does anyone know the compatibility issues between those two engines and my stock 5-speed tranny? what about the engine mounts? how hard would it be to swap?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How do you know there's anything wrong with your engine? I've hydrolocked twice crossing rivers. Both times I just had to pull the plugs and crank the engine to blow the water out. Removed the wet filter. Plugs in again and it started fine. Just don't try to start it while it's full of water.

already pulled the plugs and drained the water, and changed the oil. still nothing, i think i might have bent a connecting rod, or siezed the crank

sure you didn't just mess up a soloniod or the starter? Might want to confirm that it is actually the motor first.

i bent a rod going mudding... and after i pulled the plugs and drained it... it started with some hassle, but still started..... it was messed up and only ran for a month after that as i had tried to crank it over just after it stalled... but it ran for a month before the rod let through the block....

You've always gotta better story don't you Jim?;)

Back