Engine Swap - Now PATS won't let me start? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Swap - Now PATS won't let me start?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have a 2001 ford explorer sport trac i put a 5.0 out of a 2000 mercury mountneer i can get it to turn over but wont start i think its the pats system.wont reconize the v 6 key need help please.

Here is a thread you can check for info:

do you still have the 2000 mountaineer?
You are going to need some parts from it if you want this to run without a computer tune

You have to install the 2000 pats system into your 2001 trac
Then you will use the v8 key and ignition tumbler to start and run the truck
If you have not already you will need to ground the starter relay ground wire

What date was your 2001 sport trac built? Is it a job 1 or job 2 trac? 2001 was a split year

11 of 2000 so ist the pat b.i found the one white box is behind the air bag but cant find where the other little black box goes in the sport trac. in the mountineer the little black box was behind the air bag and the white box was in the driver side rear.

there is no little black box in the sport trac because it is pats b
so the pcm is the pats module
you removed the pats module when you removed the v6 computer
so you need to wire in the pats module from the v8 donor
piggyback it into the sport trac wiring
then install the ignition tumbler and key from the v8 donor
ground the starter relay (it used to get its ground from the old pcm/pats module) and the truck will run

once it is running you will have the speed sensor signal to sort out, i am going through this RIGHT NOW
I have in my hand a dakota digital universal speedometer converter, this will sort out the speed sensor signal so the speedometer, abs brakes, cruise control and v8 auto trans will all work properly

here is the 2002 sport trac v8 conversion i am working on, this is my stepsons truck, he did the wrenching, i have done all the plumbing and wiring:

Ford Ranger forum

all of the required wiring is being detailed in that thread.
FINALLY!! A COMPLETE 2002 sport trac v8 conversion thread
you are welcome! lol

2000 explorer limited pats module wired into 2002 trac;

171_261058_300000001.jpg

171_261058_300000002.jpg

thank u. does that also mess with ur data link connector it will not hook up

nope remember it is piggy backed
nothing is cut on the truck side of things, the scanner has no issue accessing the pcm or any other modules

you = lucky
i have weeks and weeks of research into this information

thank u let u know how it turns out

i have a black n white, black n yellow, green n white, red n green,brown n red, red n blue, gray n orange, blue n green, white n green, and white n yellow can u tell me what wires go where under dash.

thank very much let u know how it turns out best wiches to your family.

it did what u said it started and ran. thank u very much.the only problem we had was the wire for the acc we could not find on the digram so we guessed and when we put in park it would kick the starter over so for now we run it to the batt to get it to run whats ur thought thanks.

heck yeah! almost there
Thanks for the well wishes

"the only problem we had was the wire for the acc we could not find on the digram"

The acc power IN for the pats module?

you need it to be 12V with the key on
If hooked directly to the battery then you will drain your battery quickly as the pats module is always powered up

so we wired in the yellow wire for the alternator. in 41 and 42 there was a black wire in each. we put the yellow wire in 42.what do we do with the red and green wire left on the alternator.and do we do any thing with the black wire we removed and put the yellow.

Boom. Best forum ever.

i got power to alternator thu yellow wire what do i do with the red and green wire. 41 and 42 on the truck side both had black wires in them.

do u have diagrams on how to wire the transduser in for the speedo

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back