• Register Today It's free!

Engine swap prices (Sacramento)

XLTmodifire

Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
99' XLT (B4 Autumn Brown)
Hey there everyone. I am interested in purchasing an engine with over half as many miles as mine does. I am wondering if anyone would have an idea as to what prices I should be looking for when searching for someone to do the swap for me? The owner of the engine says he would be able to do the work as well, however we never discussed a price.

Please let me know what I should be expecting in prices for the labor, as well as let me know if you suggest a certain shop, or member on the boards.

I appreciate it! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is wrong with the current one? Also when you swap are you going with new belts hoses plugs wires filters oil antifreeze battery cables. All that stuff alone can add a few hundred bucks to the cost of a swap. I wouldn't swap motors just cause one has less miles. My daily driver has 196,000 miles on it. You could give me a brand new motor off the assembly line and I wouldn't pull my current one.

Hmm. Well, I currently have 196,000 on this current one, and the other has only 86,000. I know there is a slight coolant leak on my engine, however I do not know where it is coming from. I believe my chain guide needs replacing due to I believe I can hear it (plastic sound from rear of engine).

I would feel MUCH safer driving with the newer engine than what I have currently. I would CERTAINLY feel safer if I was offered a brand new engine to replace my current one. But that is just me I suppose.

So, you have an opinion on prices I should/would be looking at for the labor in the swap?

Thanks for your reply.

Hmm. Well, I currently have 196,000 on this current one, and the other has only 86,000. I know there is a slight coolant leak on my engine, however I do not know where it is coming from. I believe my chain guide needs replacing due to I believe I can hear it (plastic sound from rear of engine).

I would feel MUCH safer driving with the newer engine than what I have currently. I would CERTAINLY feel safer if I was offered a brand new engine to replace my current one. But that is just me I suppose.

So, you have an opinion on prices I should/would be looking at for the labor in the swap?

Thanks for your reply.

I believe most shops would charge around $1000 for an engine swap. a reasonable price for somebody doing it at home (non pro) would be say, $500.

however, i think you're nuts. if you're current engine doesn't show signs of wear, there is no reason to believe it's about to "go out" or whatever. by signs of wear i mean bearing noise (rod knock etc) blow-by (blowing a ton of oil vapor out the oil cap if you remove it while its running) and it has good power and does not blow smoke out the exhaust, it's probably in good running condition. engine's aren't like a backwards-ticking clock which once it's used it up its "life" of X mileage it suddenly stops working.

i think honestly, you would be at higher risk of a brake-down after all that work was done to you're truck, an engine swap is quite extensive, and if something is done slightly wrong (which is always possible even by the most skilled mechanic) it could leave you stranded for no reason.

if i were you, i'd drive it until it starts showing signs of wear, (which may be another 200k miles from now) and then have it rebuilt (if the rest of the vehicle is still good at that time, that is)

FYI you're transmission is probably more likely to suddenly fail with no warning than you're enigne :) most of the time when people's cars break down, it's not internal engine failure (unless they run it out of oil, which is neglect not wear based) it's almost always external parts which fail, such as belts, hoses, radiator, water pump, fuel pump, battery, pulley bearings, etc.

i'd have the coolant leak fixed (probably water pump) and replace the timing chains. then drive it :)

I believe most shops would charge around $1000 for an engine swap. a reasonable price for somebody doing it at home (non pro) would be say, $500.

however, i think you're nuts. if you're current engine doesn't show signs of wear, there is no reason to believe it's about to "go out" or whatever. by signs of wear i mean bearing noise (rod knock etc) blow-by (blowing a ton of oil vapor out the oil cap if you remove it while its running) and it has good power and does not blow smoke out the exhaust, it's probably in good running condition. engine's aren't like a backwards-ticking clock which once it's used it up its "life" of X mileage it suddenly stops working.

i think honestly, you would be at higher risk of a brake-down after all that work was done to you're truck, an engine swap is quite extensive, and if something is done slightly wrong (which is always possible even by the most skilled mechanic) it could leave you stranded for no reason.

if i were you, i'd drive it until it starts showing signs of wear, (which may be another 200k miles from now) and then have it rebuilt (if the rest of the vehicle is still good at that time, that is)

FYI you're transmission is probably more likely to suddenly fail with no warning than you're enigne :) most of the time when people's cars break down, it's not internal engine failure (unless they run it out of oil, which is neglect not wear based) it's almost always external parts which fail, such as belts, hoses, radiator, water pump, fuel pump, battery, pulley bearings, etc.

i'd have the coolant leak fixed (probably water pump) and replace the timing chains. then drive it :)

What he said. The coolant leak could also be a leaking lower intake gasket as well.

Back