• Register Today It's free!

engine swap question

funsize

Reaction score
City, State
lower arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1989 bronco ii
ok- found a decent doner for my 87 eddie and i'm in the process of pulling engine/ a4ld from it to do the transplant. this 94 limited is my second doner (the first one, a 94 eddie, had a bad tranny. go figure) anyway, i did strip entire drivetrain less tranny from eb explorer for extra parts before hauling body back to the scrapper i bought her from. the limited has 192,000 on the clock and seems to have have smooth running engine with no smoke or wierd noises. couldn't test drive because of a broken shaft in steering box. the prv owner claims trans was professionaly rebuilt (first and only time) about 30,000 ago. after kicking the front wheels around to align the steer tires with trailer had no problem climbing onto trailer with no problem. this truck is very clean and dry underneath, even under transmission ( and yes, i did check to make sure there was fluid in there, lol). i would appreciate anyone familiar with 4.0 to 87to give me a short list of external things to chnge/ replace/ check while i had it out. i say external because longer reaching plans include a more thorough checking out/ possible o/h of eb 4.0l that is currently on my stand and also seemed to run good. also, i do realize i'm gambling with the a4ld, but i have very specific reasons for an auto in this truck. i can and do drive a stick daily but my dad has reached a point where it is fphically difficult for him to clutch- and i think he would get a kick out of driving this beast. he'll just have to carry a milk crate to get in! also, does anyone know if i will have to move my trans mount to work with later a4ld? 87 bii came with the earlier a4ld. didn't know if length may have changed. thanks

Back