• Register Today It's free!

Engine swap questions

Kidd7

Reaction score
City, State
RTP, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 X AWD EB 5L
My Ex is totaled as a posted in a previous thread, going to part out / scavenge as much as I can then send her to scrap. Used car prices are ridiculous, twice what I paid a few years ago for worse shape & higher miles. At any rate, here's my questions:
- How involved is swapping a 5.0 v8 into a v6 Ex; both would be 2nd Gen?
- Mine is 2wd, can I swap it into a 4wd v6?
- What other combatable situations? 4wd v8? AWD v8? Are the tranny's different in between 4wd & AWD?
I'm mechanically inclined, do all my maintenance & repairs, but have never pulled an engine. I hope I can get an extra pair of hands for help.
My thinking is if I can find a 2nd gen Ex in good shape, but high miles or bad engine I can swap mine in.
Thanks for the info.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What state are you in?

North Carolina, south of Raleigh.

You ten hours away from me. It may be just a little to far for you to drive if you wanted to buy my 1997 Mercury Mountaineer body that I'm going to pull the complete drivetrain an engine wiring/ PCM for another project. On my end here is I don't have enough room yet to store the engine, transmission and rear end. I'll be using it for my ranger 5.0 swap project. As far as loading up the MM without a diffy my neighbor has forks on the bucket end of his backhoe that he could use to pick up on the back bumper and get it up on to a car trailer. The Mountaineer may include the two back wheels/tires. $500-.

The RWD explorers do have provisions for a front diff yes, the frame has the mounting holes needed to hang the front diff, so a RWD to AWD conversion is very possible

not so much worried about a conversion. My current Ex is an 01 w/ a v8 2wd less than 150k. I've seen a few v6, both 2wd & 4wd with high mileage for sale nearby. I'm trying to see if my v8 & tranny can be swapped into either of those set ups.
I figure 2wd would be fine, just need to bring engine wiring and ECU over, but not sure if there is a difference in the engine/ tranny of a v8 4wd.

YES your RWD 5.0 drivetrain can basically BOLT into any 96-01 Explorer or mountaineer
Now there maybe some mods to do depending on what year you get........... some wiring, some plumbing, some instrument cluster work, some front end work, exhaust, fuel system etc it makes it easier if you stick with 98-01 explorers

Back