engine swap v6 to v8 2013 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

engine swap v6 to v8 2013

I’d say a typical motor swap is way easier than a cab grafted to a different frame. Most people don’t have the skills (and equipment) to do it right, and anyone asking basic questions about how to do it, doesn’t have the skills needed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’d say a typical motor swap is way easier than a cab grafted to a different frame. Most people don’t have the skills (and equipment) to do it right, and anyone asking basic questions about how to do it, doesn’t have the skills needed.
You're right, I made a bad assumption. It's not simple motor swap, but frame swaps are easier than you may think. Check out the cab removals being done almost on a daily basis with modern pickups and minivans in for dealer service.

You're right, I made a bad assumption. It's not simple motor swap, but frame swaps are easier than you may think. Check out the cab removals being done almost on a daily basis with modern pickups and minivans in for dealer service.
What modern minivans even have frames? Any hillbilly can slap a cab on a different frame. Making it ride nice, getting the wheels centered in the wells, and most important making a strong enough connection that the body doesn’t break off in a collision is difficult.

These daily cab removals are also being done by trained mechanics with very specialized equipment.

Also, a cab never comes off for regular service. When a cab comes off, something catastrophic has happened.

What modern minivans even have frames? Any hillbilly can slap a cab on a different frame. Making it ride nice, getting the wheels centered in the wells, and most important making a strong enough connection that the body doesn’t break off in a collision is difficult.

These daily cab removals are also being done by trained mechanics with very specialized equipment.
OK, I misspoke again. Minivans have front sub frames as do most front wheel drive cars. The dealers "technicians" unbolt the subframe whenever an engine or tranny needs serious service. They unbolt the cabs to get at engines that are buried under an overhanging firewall or to service things under a bed that blocks access from the top. Getting the barriers out of the way reduces the repair hours/cost. The technicians usually employ a 2-post hoist, hand and power wrenches, and a wheeled cart as specialized equipment. The striped vehicle is usually parked outside when deprived of its' missing parts to free up the stall space and usually wheeled back inside to prevent overnight theft. When I was a "mechanic" we had only on-the-job training. I'm getting too old for argumentative or nit picking or whatever makes you feel better.....

It’s not nit-picking, it’s a difference of opinion. That’s the entire point of a forum. If you don’t want to participate it’s entirely voluntary. Don’t want to hear from me specifically, feel more than free to block me.

Anything is possible with the right amount of money & fabrication skill. Idk why you would want to do that though. The 4.6 unless supercharged make less power than the n/a 3.5. The 5.4 doesn’t make much more power than the 3.5 either. Coyote...yes. Now your faced with a vehicle designed for a transverse engine and a drivetrain that may not handle the power of a Coyote. That’s just scrapping the tip of the iceberg. If you want to stay transverse you can use GM’s LS4 from the Impala/Monte Carlo SS but again not much more power in stock form than the n/a 3.5 and now your facing committing sacrilege.

Cheapest option would be to sell your explorer and buy an older explorer or expedition with a v8

Even if it is not feasible, a coyote under the hood with a 6 speed trans axle in the rear would be a lot of fun.

Even if it is not feasible, a coyote under the hood with a 6 speed trans axle in the rear would be a lot of fun.
I would look for a rear end total Land Rover. It should have a Magna-STEYR transmission.

I will do it and promise to have it completed by next winter. My price is 40k

I will do it and promise to have it completed by next winter. My price is 40k

If you get any takers, let me know if you need a hand...I'm just up the road from you and it would be a cool project.;)
I work for (good) beer.

Anything is possible with the right amount of money & fabrication skill.

Of course, but if you have to ask about it... not DIY... makes no sense...and for no reason, "I like the sound" is some kind of wallflower desire and if wallflower can't find something else more important, all is lost.\

On the other hand if it were about swapping a trouble prone engine to a more reliable one for some mission critical use, then full speed ahead.

The guys on Hot Rod Garage took a fwd impala with a 300 hp ls and found another identical powertrain and grafted it into the back. Now the car has two fwd v-8's and awd. They later added twin turbos to them and made 1000 hp. They call it the twinpala. Why not do something like that? With a little ingenuity, you could probably save the second row seats.

The guys on Hot Rod Garage took a fwd impala with a 300 hp ls and found another identical powertrain and grafted it into the back. Now the car has two fwd v-8's and awd. They later added twin turbos to them and made 1000 hp. They call it the twinpala. Why not do something like that? With a little ingenuity, you could probably save the second row seats.
Money? Free access to professional fabricators?

That was a lot of work for something that did mid 10s in the 1/4 mile. Hot Rod Garage, and roadkill are the only things to have more comebacks than Cher. Didn't they blow an engine while doing a burnout?

Yes they did, and before they put in the turbos they had to upgrade both transmissions. Roadkill and HRG purposely tear **** up for the ratings, a normal person would not spend all that time and money just to beat on it and destroy all their hard work. Sometimes they have a good idea, like the twinpala project, but they end up cutting corners just so they can go out and eff it up.

If you took that idea and tried it on a 5th gen explorer and took your time and did it right, you could have an awd 550+hp explorer. And if you started with a 2.3L 4 banger model, you could probably save the second row seats as that package is small enough. Also, if your working with a sport model, you can end up with 730 hp stock and somewhere around 850-900 modified. Imagine the surprised look on a grand cherokee trackhawk owner's face when you outrun rim trying to get to the next stoplight

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It reminds me of some of the crazy 2 engine top fuel cars of the late 50's and early 60's.
How about a small block Chevy turning a supercharged Hemi. Or, 1 engine turning the supercharger
to blow into the other engine.

With enough time and money we can build anything except, the Pyramids.

Back