• Register Today It's free!

Engine Swap..

paWOLFck

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT 4.0L SOHC
I was going to get a 2000 XLT but me and my brother, "Wolfpack" over at the Blazer forum if any of you know him, have found a 1998 XLT for cheap. The only catch is that the engine is making some weird noises. The noise just started about 2-3 weeks ago and the engine has 120K miles. I have a 4.0L Ranger engine that I would like to swap in if possible. Would I be able to swap the 4.0L SOHC Explorer engine with the 4.0L Ranger engine? Thanks for the help in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if the rangers is th 4.0 sohc it should just drop right in.

Yeah. That's what I thought. The seller said the Ranger engine was from a 2000 Automatic and is a 4.0L SOHC. However, the pic he sent of the engine is this:

rangerengine.jpg

It looks like it says its a 4.0L EFI on the intake so what really is it?

Edit: So I did some searching, found that there might be an issue with the balance shaft, or lack there of on the Ranger engine?

that my friend would be the 4.0L OHV

I think that would be a bad swap.. Loos power and MPG.. What noise is your SOHC making?
If its a faint rattle.. Join the club of all the other "Death rattle" owners. My first ex had it. I sold it almost two years ago with the rattle. its had the rattle for 3 years now and 30k+ miles on it!! Just change the oil until you can get another SOHC in there..

Yea. I haven't actually gone to see the truck yet because the seller still has it. I will be going up to see it probably at the end of the week to hear the sound and get a final look over of the truck (only have seen pictures). I already think that it is the timing chain and I am prepared to swap that out as soon as I get it, being as though Spring Break is coming up for me.

>> Oh, and by the way I did some research and agree with your recommendation not to get the Ranger engine. It will be 'fun' doing the timing chain fix though.

Haha I have a '97 Explorer that I tried replacing the Timing Guides/Chains on to get rid of the Death Rattle... Lasted about 2 months and the Guides broke again =-/ I just put a 2001 Ranger V6 4.0L SOHC into my truck and the engine itself runs great. I had some tweaking to do for vacuum lines and getting the Crank Ventilator in. It was worth it though. The picture that you posted is NOT of the SOHC engine. I would strongly suggest against putting that in. If you could find a Ranger engine that was SOHC to replace yours I'd say go for it!

Yea. I totally agree. I am definitely not using the ranger engine. But still being in school and having limited financial resources I am going to try to the repair. I love the new truck though. It's good though because I am getting everything I need to get done to it while it waits for the timing repair. I am pretty sure it is the rear just from where the sound is coming from but the engine is perfect in any other aspect. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes. Did you install the factory parts when you did the repair?

WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there is a blazer forum???

Nah I bought all after-market parts to ensure the Rattle didn't come back. Apparently factory parts still had the problem and Ford was too lazy to fix it. So I got heavier-duty guides and such.

410: Yea. There definitely is.
edit: http://blazerforum.com/forum/

Desert: We'll see how it goes. I will be getting the after market as well. They have lasted a couple years on my dad's X. I just finished detailing the entire car. Took a long time. I just can't wait to get out to Uwarhie with my brother.

Thanks. We hope to start when we get back from spring break in Daytona next week.

Back