Engine swap | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Engine swap

J*Hood1977

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
!997 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey whats up fellow Ford Guys? I have a 97 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 it has a 4.0 liter SOHC engine, auto trans with A.C it has power windows,locks,and seats. But it just got smashed up but the engine is good. I was thinking of buying an Explorer thats in immaculate shape but needs an engine. Its also a 97 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 it has a 4 liter SOHC engine but its screwed it has a auto trans but this one has i every option available in it, even rear climate control. would my engine work in the fully loaded explorer. In my explorer the vin # is 1FMDU34EOVUC36107 the other explorer that I want the vin number is 1FMDU34EOVUC02085 only the last five numbers are different. or is there any other way to find out if they would be a perfect swap

crazymind

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 mountaieer 4.0
If they both are 97 with the 4.0 yes the only thing different from the two is all the options you described.

Common Cents

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer Sport
Great find there.

You won't get a closer match than having the VINs match except for the last 5. Even the check digit matched on those, which is rare.

That should be a direct swap. There should be no differences at all (from the factory). That's as easy as it gets for engine replacements.

snoranger

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Jackson, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 limited on 35's
Great find there.

You won't get a closer match than having the VINs match except for the last 5. Even the check digit matched on those, which is rare.

That should be a direct swap. There should be no differences at all (from the factory). That's as easy as it gets for engine replacements.

The only Vin character that matters is the "E" in the 8th position.