• Register Today It's free!

engine swap

dirtyprobe18

Reaction score
City, State
erie,pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer
i have a 2000 explorer and the motors about shot i just pulled my 96 out of the field has a good motor can i swap it both 4.0's ihave two complete trucks and all harnesses and wiring what would i have to mod to make it work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you would have to change all of your wiring, and computer system to start. your 00 has P.A.T.S., your 96 doesnt. you would also have to change some exhaust as well. thats just off the top of my head.

is it even worth trying i just wanted a low cost fix if it will need gaskets and sensors wiring and all its not worth it to me mine needs a pan gasket i think head gaskets for sure and the valve train is clattering none of its really a big deal if i take care of it i was hoping it would just drop in no problems

if the two engines are both sohc the blocks are the same, you will have to reuse the orginal fuel rail,injectors,intake, and exhaust manifolds

both OHV V6s?

Your 1996 engine is an OHV V6. If your 2000 is also an OHV V6 the swap should be fairly easy. You'll have to use the 2000 fuel rails because your vehicle fuel system is returnless while the 1996 is return type. I think the 2000 has an 8 bolt crankshaft while the 1996 has a 6 bolt so you'll need to use the 1996 flexplate if the crankshafts have different bolt patterns.
SealOld.jpg

if the two engines are both sohc the blocks are the same, you will have to reuse the orginal fuel rail,injectors,intake, and exhaust manifolds

They arent both SOHCs. The SOHC wasnt available till '97. They could both be OHVs, then its a direct swap (just use the intake, sensors, etc from the 2000 on the '96 motor.)

Back