• Register Today It's free!

Engine swap

Chuckster1951

Reaction score
City, State
Pace, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
My 2001 Explorer Sport had the cam chain issues and has expired. I am considering swapping the later model (05 to 2010) Mustang 4L into it. I understand this is a relatively straightforward swap. My question is this: has Ford corrected the cam chain cassette issues with a better design or improved parts, and what year engines did this occur on? I appreciate any and all feedback.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2002 and later

I think that all of the timing chain improvements were incorporated in the Explorer 2002 and later models. Unfortunately, the rear (passenger side) guide assembly still has no metal reinforcement on one side and can break apart. The transmission and the engine block must be separated in order to replace the rear guide assembly. Most members remove the engine. A few members have removed the transmission. I think a pre-oiler is the most effective means of extending the life of the timing chain related components. Several members have replaced their Explorer SOHC V6 engines with Mustang engines and at least one has posted the details of the process. Most of the Mustang engines do not have the balance shaft which is normally present on the 4WD Explorer engines.

Thanks for the reply. Mine is the 2WD version. I've read the thread about the Mustang 4L swap and that's why I'm considering this. I just didn't want to buy and engine that still has the same issues that caused the demise of the first one.
Thanks again.

I replaced my 98 4.0 with a 4.0 from an 05 mustang. My ex is a 4wd and the mustang did not have the countershaft. I have a small vibration at 1500 to 2100 RPM but not very noticable. The swap is very straightforward. Read Dales threads and others on this board and it will be much easier. Mine took 2.5 days working by myself about 6 hours a day.

Where Thread?

Several members have replaced their Explorer SOHC V6 engines with Mustang engines and at least one has posted the details of the process. Most of the Mustang engines do not have the balance shaft which is normally present on the 4WD Explorer engines.

Can somebody point me to this thread mentioned above I cant find it. Thanks!

Back