Engine Swap. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Swap.

It's a used computer but its for a 96. The donor truck was a 96 and the one I have is a 95 so it just might be a chipped key that the 96 computer needs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just got off the phone with a ford tech and the 96' does require a chipped key that is my problem I thank you all for your help very much appreciated. Now the problem is getting the new chipped key I have to buy programmed to the computer it requires a scan tool that I don't have access too. Anyone have any idea how much the dealer would charge me for that?

I just got off the phone with a ford tech and the 96' does require a chipped key that is my problem I thank you all for your help very much appreciated. Now the problem is getting the new chipped key I have to buy programmed to the computer it requires a scan tool that I don't have access too. Anyone have any idea how much the dealer would charge me for that?

Now we're getting somewhere. Did you describe your whole scenario to the tech? I don't think the '95s have PATS. The "reader" is located in the steering column near the ignition key slot. If your '95 doesn't have that, then no amount of programming or new key finagling is going to work.

Hopefully, the tech told you that your '95 has the PATS in the column.

It does have the PATS installed so we're good there. I told the tech the whole story. He says there is an alternative to getting the key and programming, and that is to revert back to the 95 computer and engine wiring but that could cost more then the key and programming.

Excellent.

That'll be five cents, please.

Unfortunately I have to wait until the 20th to see if we are right about chipped keys this explorer burned up this last pay check lol. I'll get a few more new parts for it then. Its in a desperate need of new exhaust, tires, windshield, and a few other things I can't think of right off the top of my head right now without looking at it.

This might not make a difference but my parents 965.0 explorer and my 97 explorer doesn't use a chipped key but my 98 Mounty does. It gave me the impression that chipped keys were used 98 and after.Maybe the tech was wrong about a chipped key. Once again I have no basis for think this other than the key types in my cars. Good Luck!

There is a thread on pats in the 'under the hood'' section. If states these years do not have pats. I really do think this is a PCM control issue though. I just cant prove it yet.
Did you have 12 volts at the white/pink or pink wire?

All suggestions more than welcome.

Chip keys didn't start until 98

I just double checked with a second Ford tech and he says because I have a theft light in my dash that he is 98% sure I have a PATS system in my explorer. I did check the pink wire and I do not have 12 volts to it but with out the chipped key it wouldn't charge it according to the ford tech. because if the chip isn't read the theft system wont disarm.

if you have pats, you have a problem.

your going to have to get programming done at the dealership, or get a programmer and have someone disable pats in a modified tune.

I'll have to get some keys and the dealership her charges 40$ a key to program them. He also told me that if I did everything right in the engine install I shouldn't have a problem with getting the keys programmed.

I just thought of an issue I might run into with the 96 engine control computer and the 95 pats. Would they have a conflict? if so would I be better off rewiring the engine to the 95 harness and computer? I still have the 95 computer. but I would either have to buy a new wiring kit for the engine or pull one from a new donor.

I just double checked with a second Ford tech and he says because I have a theft light in my dash that he is 98% sure I have a PATS system in my explorer. I did check the pink wire and I do not have 12 volts to it but with out the chipped key it wouldn't charge it according to the ford tech. because if the chip isn't read the theft system wont disarm.

My '97 has the factory anti-theft with the flashing light, but it is NOT PATS; PATS did not start until '98. You do not need a chipped key, and the only "programming" required is if you need new key fobs for the remote locking system. Good luck.

Well I have an engine from a 96 and the vehicle its in now is a 95 the truck won't start with the key I have. What is happening between the key and the starter? I don't know. I'm just going off of what the ford technician told me. I've never done an entire engine swap before I got the truck halfway through the process I just had to finish it. I'm dead in the water right now. I've got everything that I can see or feel in the right places I think, bit it still won't fire up with the key. The only way it starts is if I bypass the solenoid.

If you can start the truck and it runs by bypassing the solenoid, this is not a PATS issue, but an issue in the wiring itself somewhere

I'm learning a lot here on this truck. You are right this truck does not have a PATS nor do I need a chipped key. What I need is a new wiring harness for a 95 engine instead of the 96 engine the conflict is in the wiring. The 96 harness is missing a plug for a computer that is in the chassis I'm changing out the exhaust manifolds right now and I stumbled upon a wire that leads into the cab but I can't find a wire on the wiring harness to plug it in. I feel really stupid for missing it.

I finally got a new wiring harness for the explorer now Im not getting power to my injectors or spark plugs, any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update

I got my injectors to pulse now but it still wont fire.

Back