• Register Today It's free!

engine swap

jacob purl

Reaction score
City, State
SARALAND
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 ford ranger xlt
i have a 1996 ford ranger that came with the 3.0L, i took it out and want to put a 5.0L out of a 98 ford explorer that i bought the motor from a salvage yard, problem is, i dont know what ECM to put in it and need to know what transmission to put that will bolt with no mods, and the wiring harness that came with this motor has 2 little block connectors with the bot in the center that one plugs into the wires coming out of the firwall into my inner fuse box and i dont know where the other one goes because my 3.0 only had 1 little block connector and this has 2, is there a diff wiring harness i can get to work with this motor

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you will need the 5L ecm, and a 4r70 trans (2 wheel or 4 wheel drive, the ecm wont know if its 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive). for the harness, one will go do the ecm that would be in the firewall for a explorer (longer, thinner) and one will go to the body harness

you will need the 5L ecm, and a 4r70 trans (2 wheel or 4 wheel drive, the ecm wont know if its 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive). for the harness, one will go do the ecm that would be in the firewall for a explorer (longer, thinner) and one will go to the body harness

Correct, it has the ecm connector and it has 2 square shaped connectors w the bolt in the center, I see that one goes to the body harness but where will the other plug in to

Those 2 connectors in the middle in the back are for the transmission harness.

Those 2 connectors in the middle in the back are for the transmission harness.
After looking I don't see where my teams wires will plug in at all, when the 3.0L was in it there were like 3 wire connectors bc it was a manual trans and I want to keep it a manual trans, just don't know what to do with this other connector

96-97 explorer ecm would work since your truck doesn't have pats. M5OD-R2 transmission found in the F150 5.0L truck would work. The ecm would need to be flashed to remove the automatic transmission stuff. Is your truck 2 wheel drive?

96-97 explorer ecm would work since your truck doesn't have pats. M5OD-R2 transmission found in the F150 5.0L truck would work. The ecm would need to be flashed to remove the automatic transmission stuff. Is your truck 2 wheel drive?
Its 2 wheel drive with a 5 speed transmission

Like josh stated above, you will have to swap transmissions and tune the computer to delete the trans functions. Also the 97 and 98 F150 with a 4.2 v6 will have the transmission you need

95 mustang wiring harness could work if repinned right

95 mustang wiring harness could work if repinned right
You can buy the EVTM for both your ranger and the vehicle you want to use the wiring harness from. That will give you the wiring diagrams you need. The explorer wiring will be a lot closer to the Ranger than the mustang. The 96 ranger is 104 pin eec connector and I believe the mustang will be 60 pin. To answer your question, yes it could be made to work. What it means to repin the harness, example would be the fuel pump circuit from the ecm, instead of cutting and splicing the wires together you would run a new wire with a pin crimped on the end then installed in the eec connector.

would a wiring harness and ecm out of a 96 f-150 5.0L work if repinned

would a wiring harness and ecm out of a 96 f-150 5.0L work if repinned

Nope. Just keep it explorer and you won't make it more of a headache than its already been for you.

Pm sent.

Back