• Register Today It's free!

engine swaps - DIESEL anyone ???

norvin

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal Quebec Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XL
i'm seriously considering the advantages of running a diesel engine (mainly fuel economy) in my 91' and am curious if any one has done this ? what are the difficulties in making this swap? what are the best donors for an engine? any tips, hints, advice or comments on this type of conversion? all comments are appreciated.
best
marc

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello Norvin :)

this topic has been coming up weekly lately.

Have you tried a search?

It has been discussed, seriously over the last few years. Not aware of any actual attempts, but knowing that Ford builds 4cyl diesel rangers, helps.

It would not be a strait out swap that is for sure; petrol and diesel motors are very different

Down hear diesel is the first choice for 4WD’s for A number of resins some of which are better economy when towing and 4WDing, reliability better bush ability and availability Meaning the trucking industry run’s on it so it is always available.

As for an engine go a turbo-diesel definitely. Can’t help with engine manufacture as down hear is completely different the 2 biggest 4WD seller’s are the Toyota Land cruiser and Nissan Patrol both of which have a 4.2 Turbo diesel in them extremely good strong reliable motor’s.

Just a side note the biggest 4WD track hear is some 1700 kilometres about 1100 miles long and it has only 3 fuel supply stop’s on rout of those only 2 are reliable for diesel, ULP is available but recommended you check before departing and the 3rd you must have permission before entering and then it can only be brought 200Ltrs or 44 gallon’s at a time. This is one of the resins diesel 4WD’s are so preferred hear.

I am back
· engine (duh)
· gearbox
· bellhousing
· mounts on engine
· mounts on chassis
· clutch lines
· clutch slave cil.
· clutch kit (clutch plate & pressure plate, spigot/thrust bearings)
· brakes system
· alternator
· starter
· airconditioner compressor
· air filter hose
· exhaust system
· clutch
· fuel primer/filter housing & lines
· power steering lines
· fan & clutch
· belts
· engine electrical system (starter, alternator, glow plugs, etc)
· heater hoses & tap
· radiator hoses
· and lots more
Just seen a guy who did petrol to diesel conversion the above is a short list of thing’s that needed to be changed. It took 5 full days’ to do.

Yeah so basically the donor vehicle is what you need, just like most drivetrain conversions.

I wish I were paying 1.07 now. Currently 1.19 a litre about 6 week’s ago it was .93 Cpl Go figure that’s for ULP

Diesel is about 1.24 Cpl

ive always been interested in putting in a diesal engine, or just having a diesal car... right now the prices are the same

prices are the same sure, but the mileage is not

Back