engine timing tools needed 4.0 SOHC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

engine timing tools needed 4.0 SOHC

udnyexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Aberdeen Scotland
Year, Model & Trim Level
explorer, 2003
Before I go and spend another dollop on money, does anyone have the locking tools that I could hire to do my engine rebuild ..........

forgot to say 2003 4.0 SOHC

willing to pay deposit, postage etc

genuine request

or if not.... selling

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi udnyexplorer my name is Alex no need to buy expensive timing tools
i can show you how to make some. like the ones i have used on my own engine
very easy to make.:thumbsup:

Oh yes please... would be good, engine crane came today, built so will have engine out by Sat
heads all cleaned ready for re-build ... they were removed last weekend
engine check to see all OK inside weekend when out

mind you expecting snow here weekend so will see how work progresses

Hi I would also be interested in knowing what is needed to make the kit!!

sorry about the late reply lads the wife just out of hospital after heart attack. i am trying to put pictures on here at the moment. material used 1 piece 3mm plate
150mm square/ 6mm x 40mm angle iron 150mm long /1 10mm bolt 110mm long 1 nut for the bolt/10-12 mm thick piece of plate 90mm long x 25mmwide from these components you will make 2 camshaft locks 1 t.d.c. lock 1 chain tensioner tool. for the t.d.c. to work the engine must be out of vehicle.:exp:

timing tools

The tools i made to change timing chains on 4.0 v6 sohc engine. made some simple legs to stand engine on bench makes it easier to remove and refit sump remove harmonic ballancer. set the key way at 12oclock use t.d.c. lock on rear of engine bolt to flexy plate and bell housing bolt hole t.d.c. is now fixed solid.bolts from rocker covers were used to bolt cam locks in place.
DCFC0037.jpg

whole set
DCFC0027.jpg

cam lock need two
DCFC0021.jpg

cam tool
DCFC0025.jpg

t.d.c. tool
fan spanner.jpg

viscous fan tool. these are tools that worked for me please alter and adapt to suit you please ask any questions.

timing tools

never thought of this....... do just about 99% car stuff myself, and regularly build and modify for easier to procure bits......
I have a second car (now doner) with good engine so will build the tools to set on that and can tranfer to the new engine rebuild

anything you need I could take of car...... small I pat P&P, bigger free but P&P at cost to you ....... just ask

Thanks axle I will now get on a d have a crack at these!! Will be one of my first welding projects!!

What parts have you available? How come your breaking the doner car? Undyexplorer?

I'm gonna throw a spanner in the works here guys.

There is an additional tool you need to set the timing. It is in place of the hydraulic tensioner. It is essentiall the same shape but it has a fixed length to press the chain the exact correct amount to set the position of the cam sprocket. If you get the length of the tool you could weld an old tensioner at the right length. There was a thread somewher on the US part about making one.

As for the viscous fan, you can knock em off with a spike and hammer!

building and doner ...

last year or so have been rebuilding the older explorer as this was one I had at time with good body and the rest not bad...... during early stages managed to get another (2000 model) and used this for about 10 months but it had been hard used previously compared to one in build

so plan was during free time and with money buid older and where needed use 2000 model for spares....... sills and under area shot....... engine and mechanics good

mind you so far very little needed for build car

timing tools

Hi all the tool jan is refering to is the one full kit picture bottom tool on the left
which is a 106mm x 10mm bolt pasing through a piece of 90mm x 12mm flat bar with a 10mm nut welded on the inside the flat bar goes inside the casing bolt is passed through tensioner hole threaded into flat bar and pushes timing chain to tension it all it does is replace original oil tensioner so sprockets can be locked in place. any piece of strong flat bar will do you could even tap the bar to match your bolt i just used what i had to hand hope this helps sombody :thumbsup:

Back