Engine, Trans, or Scrap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine, Trans, or Scrap

mich800

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Limited
I have a 2002 V8 Explorer that put a hole in the block. I found a used engine with 150,000 miles. I also found a solid V6 Explorer with a bad transmission.

So trying to decide if I should do an engine swap or go with the V6 explorer and swap in my transmission. Will the V8 trans bolt to the V6 engine or are they different transmissions?

All vehicles are 2002 model year and 4x4.

This is just an around the town errand and kid vehicle but don't want to throw good money after bad.

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's generally regarded as too difficult to do an engine conversion.

Based on my experience, I wish I had scrapped mine when the engine blew.

It's generally regarded as too difficult to do an engine conversion.

Based on my experience, I wish I had scrapped mine when the engine blew.

The used engine is a V8 out of a wrecked 2002 going into my 2002. Or, There is also a good running complete 2002 V6 Explorer but with a bad transmission. I would be swapping out my trans into that one. I can get the V8 engine or the complete explorer with bad trans for about the same price.

So the short answer is V8 to V8 swap or put my trans in the other running V6 Explorer I found.

A few years back I recall reading several threads/lots of posts on the question you asked about interchangeability of the transmissions between the V8 and the V6. I do not recall their content sufficiently to characterize them. I do recall questions regarding whether the bolt pattern on the bell housing being the same. (I don't recall the conclusion, if there was one, however).

There's a metal tag on the transmissions. You might want to crawl under there with a flashlight, eye protection, and maybe some rags and spray detergent to record the tag numbers on each transmission. There might be information available from the (i) door sticker; and (ii) VIN for each vehicle.

I know in the gen IV's the transmissions changed (6-speed for V8; 5-speed for V6). But the horses on the gen IV's improved significantly with the third valve.

One note about pulling/switching tranmissions: You will likely break most/all of the bolts holding the main trans carrier onto the frame. There's a YouTube video showing how two guys came up with a slick way to pop out the broken bolts, and fish new bolts through the frame with a magnet, and use a nut to re-attach the carrier. Good luck.

I guess it comes down to how much life is there in my trans with 175,000 miles compared with the used engine I can get that has 140,000 miles on it. And do I want to spend $1,000 to get this back on the road.

How many miles on the V6 Exploder?

That's pretty low. If there is no timing chain chatter on cold startup, and you trust the seller to have done regular quality oil and filter changes--or if it's already had the timing chain's replaced--I'd go for the V6 and repair or replace the trans. These trans frequently fail through either servo bore wear our solenoid pack failure. Either problem is repairable diy without removing the trans.

The transmissions are not interchangeable between the V6 and V8, so that’s your answer.

How much for the engine?

My ‘04 Ex has 208k in original trans. My ‘05 has it’s replaced around 100k.

‘02’s are inexpensive to buy, in the South. But I can appreciate keeping a vehicle. I’d get the engine if you are doing the work.

Regardless of need, I’d open the timing over while it’s out and replace the plastic timing guides.

The used engine is a V8 out of a wrecked 2002 going into my 2002. Or, There is also a good running complete 2002 V6 Explorer but with a bad transmission. I would be swapping out my trans into that one. I can get the V8 engine or the complete explorer with bad trans for about the same price.

So the short answer is V8 to V8 swap or put my trans in the other running V6 Explorer I found.
Oh, I didn't read that you had an option to put another v8 into yours. That would be your simplest route, as the engine can be pulled without pulling the transmission.

Might not hurt to do some routine maintenance to that v8 before it goes in, such as the timing chain tensioner, water pump, tensioner, etc.

Back