• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Engine/trans pulled

masospaghetti

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT, OHV, 4D, 4x4, 5M
Are you sure the jumper cables are providing enough juice to crank the motor? Sounds like a dumb question, but the typical cheap cables sometimes can't provide enough amps to turn over an engine with a completely dead battery,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

KeenKilo

Reaction score
City, State
Gwinnett
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport
Are you sure the jumper cables are providing enough juice to crank the motor? Sounds like a dumb question, but the typical cheap cables sometimes can't provide enough amps to turn over an engine with a completely dead battery,
They are 4 gauge jumpers but rn I have a good battery in it. Not a dumb question haha I got fed up with cheap cables and good ones aren’t that much more

96eb96

Reaction score
City, State
Albany, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB V6 OHV 4WD
I’m about to pull the starter off and look at it.
How do I do a voltage drop test?
I’ve got 12.5V at the battery alternator and starter
A good cable should be a dead short circuit. It should be zero volts. If a cable is crappy, it acts like a resistor with a voltage drop. So if you put a multimeter lead on one of the cable, and the other on the other end, watch if you see any voltage. Under load, a bad cable could steal 2-3 volts.

KeenKilo

Reaction score
City, State
Gwinnett
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport
A good cable should be a dead short circuit. It should be zero volts. If a cable is crappy, it acts like a resistor with a voltage drop. So if you put a multimeter lead on one of the cable, and the other on the other end, watch if you see any voltage. Under load, a bad cable could steal 2-3 volts.
I am no longer using jumper cables.
I may be doing it wrong but I put the multimeter lead on the battery cables (not the terminals) it read 12.5v. Then I went to the starter and put the positive lead on the hot starter stud. The ground lead on the starter ground bolt it read 12.5v.
I did the same with the alternator but put the ground lead back to battery ground. 12.5V
All with the key removed

96eb96

Reaction score
City, State
Albany, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB V6 OHV 4WD
I am no longer using jumper cables.
I may be doing it wrong but I put the multimeter lead on the battery cables (not the terminals) it read 12.5v. Then I went to the starter and put the positive lead on the hot starter stud. The ground lead on the starter ground bolt it read 12.5v.
I did the same with the alternator but put the ground lead back to battery ground. 12.5V
All with the key removed
Static voltage don't say much. What if you hooked up the system with thin doorbell wire. It would read 12.5V too. But no way would you be able to start the truck.

What voltage do you get across the battery when you crank? That is an important number.

KeenKilo

Reaction score
City, State
Gwinnett
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport
It’s doing the same thing with the clutch in or out so that makes me think Neutral safety switch?

also my pedal looks weird

D9717F52-B77C-45C5-AD73-8680F5BB2F51.jpeg

Last edited:

KeenKilo

Reaction score
City, State
Gwinnett
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport
Static voltage don't say much. What if you hooked up the system with thin doorbell wire. It would read 12.5V too. But no way would you be able to start the truck.

What voltage do you get across the battery when you crank? That is an important number.
Oohhh I see ok thanks!
I just checked it reads 12.5v then drops to 12.3 with the key in the on position. There is no change when I turn to crank. Remove key and it climbs back to 12.5

Last edited:

masospaghetti

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT, OHV, 4D, 4x4, 5M
Could be a bad clutch safety switch. Could also be a bad ignition switch, but that hasn't been messed with.

KeenKilo

Reaction score
City, State
Gwinnett
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport
It was the clutch switch. I took it off and bent the pedal closer to the break which gave it more travel. hooked the switch back on and it fired right up! Took it around the block once or twice.
Need to put the hood on and probably top off fluids but we in business baby!

410Fortune

River Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
oh thank goodness
and yes your clutch pedal looks funky funky!!

KeenKilo

Reaction score
City, State
Gwinnett
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport
Yesss it was hard to bend idk how it looked originally.
I was going to leave the OG master cylinder on there for the initial start up but the connector to the slave was different than the LUK one I got. The LUK master has a slightly smaller diameter pedal arm I noticed when the clutch switch has some play that it does not have on the OG arm. I think maybe just messin with it got it seated better or something.

Thanks to everyone who helped and commented and checked this thread out. Probably gonna have some more issues but I’ll deal with them as they come haha

Last edited: