engine/transmission...i need options | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

engine/transmission...i need options

The XHunter

Reaction score
City, State
Grande Prairie, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited
My 1994 Limited 4x4 explorer 4.0 L engine and a4ld tranny is about to die. I am looking for a low km replacement but can't find it here in northern alberta. I was wondering if there are other vehicles I could get an engine from....like an aerostar or a later model explorer..I need options.:banghead:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I really want to find out about this also. Is there a later model 4.0 that will be a bolt in replacement for our 91-94's?

Hi!

Search!

Seriously the OHV changed very little from 91 to 2001, you can bolt any OHV long block (block and heads) into your early 91-94 truck, just use your original accessories, intakes, manifolds, etc

I have done this several times, now there are some things to pay attention to, like the CPS, EGR, flywheel/flexplate, etc... but you can use the block and heads from lower mileage later model Explorer's and Rangers

the auto transmission, not so much they are computer controlled, so swapping to later model auto trans = computer swap = more complicated.

The SOHC 4.0L can also be used, but thats a whole different thread and a MAJOR conversion

I think I have 3 threads on this forum detailing my 4.0L OHV conversions... keeping old trucks going using junk yard engines...thats pretty much how I have kept our entire fleet of Fords running at my house no car payment 15+ years for me

Thats what I want to hear! How about M50D manual trannies? Do you know the latest year that one of those will fit in a 91-94?

manual transmission from any OHV truck will work, heck even the SOHC 5 speeds will work

You will have some converting to do, pedals, starter, wiring, hydraulics, and computer fooling

My buddy brett has a 94 sploder sport with a 04 SOHC 4.0L, 04 Ranger Edge 5 speed trans and a 94 BW1354 t case hes running the original 94 computer to make it all work... just FYI ALL KINDS OF conversions are possible

but conversions also require ALOT of research before you spend $1

good news the auto to manual coversion has been done alot

You may also consider a C5/4 3 speed automatic conversion behind your 4.0L, no overdrive but a bomb proof manual valve bodied C4 is a wicked cool setup behind a OHV or SOHC

The good thing is I already have a manual tranny but I"m starting to watch for good deals on late model parts. So any manual tranny will fit in? How about one from a 2wd model?

Check out this post on another forum... C5 into a 1st gen Ex. Probably your best bet for replacing that STUPID a4ld... we'll see how mine lasts...

oh yeah, the link...

C5 into 1st gen EX

Thankx 410fortune for the help and info. I always try a search on any question I have. But couldn't find info on engines compatible with my 94 ex. I have a lot more options open to me now. ...you mentioned doing extra research. Where do I go? (I know right now you are thinking "dumbass, do a search!", but sometimes I just hit a wall when I am searching. Please help a dumbass.)

Back