Engine/Trany problem(s) Please help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine/Trany problem(s) Please help

Doc1993

Reaction score
City, State
PEI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport
When I step on the gas She booges and spuders. Trying to maintain speed going up hills the RPM's will go up about 500 then drop 500, If I try giving it more gas the RPM's don't move and she just spuders, the same happens when trying to accelerate quickly(any time she's at half throttle) I was thinking MAF censer or Fuel filter/pump. I am trying to keep my thinking away from the Trany as I had to replace it once already. If it ends up being the Trany she may be parked for the winter which is not good thing with the winters we get here.

Any opinions are a great help (even if they are about the Trany)

Thanks

Daniel

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had a similar problem. Got under the hood and found a missing vacuum line. Then I put a fuel pressure gauge on it and saw that there was insufficient pressure at the fuel rail, which prompted me to change the fuel filter, and the pressure then came up.

I would almost certainly start with some basic diagnostics: check fuel pressure, check vacuum lines, and I'd probably even pull codes (doesn't take long and may yield some useful information).

Are you losing any transmission fluid? Do you see any fluid in the vacuum hose going to the modulator? It's possible that the vacuum hose could have gotten unplugged because transmission fluid got into it. Start with the things MrShorty suggested.

I will check those things tonight thats great thanks.
And yes the trany is losing fluid but it is all going on the drive way.

thanks again.

Daniel

It was the fuel filter. all better now. Thanks for your suggestions

Daniel

Since 50-90% of the battle can be diagnosis, some of us would be interested in knowing how you determined the filter was at fault (especially if you did more than "guess and check").

My happiness was short lived
The fuel filter was not the problem. Replacing it seemed to have fixed it at first, but this morning it is doing the same thing. It seems to happen after driving for a while. When she gets warmed up and I step on the gas its like she is not getting enough of fuel or air.
I had some ideas about it but it was a mechanic that checked and replaced the fuel filter.

But no I am back to square one. I will be calling the mechanic back today to see that's going on.

Back