• Register Today It's free!

Engine trashed. Need advice.

keith h

Reaction score
City, State
Landenberg, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Limited 4.6L
Well at this point the headliner DVD rattle seems minor, as well as the bearing replacements, the rear axle problems, the A/C leaks, the 3 CD players that had to be installed....

The dealer says the bearings are scored, or burnt, whatever. I believe it so that is not the issue. To get some calue out of this heap, I have to get it back on the road. I am considering getting a used engine and having my local service place install it. Anyone have any experience with replacing the engine and how long it took?

This would not be to make it like new, just roadable and as back-up vehicle. It has 70k on it and looks great, it has just been a total lemon.

Thanks.

It's the same as anything else. Generally buy the lowest mileage engine you can afford and have at it.

It's usually a good idea to open the oil pan and inspect the engine since it's out, but thats personal opinion.

Just buy from a reputable place and get a warranty..

Jasper has great re-manufactured engines.

I second the check the oil pan thing. Its super easy, its like 10 bolts, and the gasket is reusable. It should take all of 10 minutes to check.

If there are any timing chain tensioner issues (jackshaft or balance shaft), you'll likely find pieces of them in the pan. If the bearings are shot, etc, you'll likely find lots of aluminum sludge in the bottom of the pan.

Just a look in the pan can tell you volumes. You can also take a sample of the oil, and send it off to be analyzed. That will tell you even more about the used engine.

Back