• Register Today It's free!

Engine trouble

claytonjpc

Reaction score
City, State
indianapolis,indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 explorer sport
My 93 explorer engine is worn out. Would it be better to rebuild the original engine or get a new one? Thats my question. I have spent $5000 on this truck in a year and half . still have to replace suspension system and steering issues. I want to keep it running for awhile but putting $10,000 into is alot .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Price a rebuild against a good junkyard motor. Explorers go to the junkyard for trans issues way more often than for engine problems.

What's wrong with the current motor? Can you do it yourself? A basic rebuild kit is cheap. If you really have another 10k to put into it, I'd find a different car.

just rebuilt my '92 4.0 with maching and parts it was under 2k did the work myself.
roscoe

Sheesh, the best thing about these explorers is they are cheap. I'd cut your losses and buy something else. There is no logical reason to be putting $15k into an old truck, besides modifying for offroad. You can still buy brand new cars for less than $20k.

IMHO the best answer for you has to be the one you want to accept, but my $0.02 would be that after spending the amount you already have, purchasing and installing a used but known good engine would be my choice. I have two GEN1's, a '92 XLT and a '94 Limited, and intend to keep them as long as possible, which already has involved an engine replacement in the '92. I've seen a professionally rebuilt engine advertised for around $2k and known good ones for around $500 already pulled and ready to pick up. As noted above, it's much more common to see a GEN1 on Craigslist with a bad transmission than a bad engine.

It really depends on what your issues are, if it's running rough you might just need to change your fuel pressure regulator, plus, plug wires, MAF (Cleaning), Coil Pack, Air filter, fuel filter, any general maintenance stuff helps. I have almost 300k on my Ex, and at 160 it sounded like it was going to die, and after doing all this stuff to it, it still purrs.

Back