Engine Vibrates in Drive / Traffic / Idle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Vibrates in Drive / Traffic / Idle

LanceH

Reaction score
City, State
San Ramon
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer 2005 XLT
Hi everyone. Long time member but first time poster. Here's the problem....

I had my radiator, thermostat housing, motor mounts, and transmission gasket replaced a few weeks ago. 3 days after I took the truck home from the shop, I noticed my truck having rough idle every time the engine becomes warm / operating temperature, in gear, at a full stop. No CEL. I already replaced the pressure rail sensor a year back. The rough idle gets worse when the AC is on. I also lose cold air from the AC when this happens. I feel there is a heavy load on the engine when the shaking and vibration begins. My mechanic said it can be any of the clutches in the serpentine belt such as alternator clutch, idler pulley, fan clutch, water pump, and harmonic balancer. Im lost and exhausted.

If anyone has similar experience and knows how I can solve this problem, please chime in. it is very much appreciated.

Lance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

can you try this? take your belt off and one by one spin each pulley. they should all spin freely. if one is hard to turn you have found your problem

Is this in the '95 that shows in your info? Or something else?

Sorry but my correct info is 2005 Ford Explorer XLT. Can't seem to change it from the settings.

Anyhow, thanks for the replies. I've changed today the following parts :

- Idler pulley
- tensioner pulley
- Water pump
- Fan clutch

The A/C works well now even at idle. However, the vibration is still there after a few hours of using the car, when the engine becomes hot. I think the motor mounts I replaced the shot ones are also bad. I only bought the mounts from ebay for 20 dollars a piece. Perhaps, there is a better quality I can buy from other sources.

What annoys me is the engine runs very smooth when I start the engine for about 30 mins of driving. It starts to shake after than. It gets better if I put it in neutral.I can feel the vibration on the steering wheel emanating from the engine and becomes worse when in DRIVE. I had someone put the truck in drive at a stop while I looked at the mounts. It was not really moving at all. Or maybe there should be a little bit of play. I need to observe it some more.

Truck is 10 years old now giving me a lot of headaches.

Lance

Might have a transmission shop look at it. Most AAMCO's will look at it for free.

Replacing the water pump and tee fittings fixed the A/C problem. The radiator was not getting sufficient cooling due to the leak. As for the vibration, a new transmission mount solved the problem.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Back