• Register Today It's free!

Engine wobble needs help.....

FHBasketball

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 SPORT
.....before anyone starts to assume the problem, I've checked most of the obvious reasons. It is a 4.0, if that helps. Changed plugs and wires, bought an air filter and IAC thinking maybe it had bad air going to it, and i'm sure it's not a cylinder knocking, because it still has awesome acceleration power.

You can only feel the wobble when sitting at a dead stop. if you push the gas at all, it doesn't wobble. I have a manual, and I can really feel the wobble on the shifter (it shakes back and forth pretty bad when at a stop). I've tried all of the injector cleaners, and I use the gas treatment stuff on every tank of gas. Before I pay $20 for my Ford man to look at it, I figured I'd start here.

Any help is greatly appreciated. One more thing, I'm not really an engine guy, so if anyone suggests anything, How-to links would be great. Thanks again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just a wild ass guess, but a vacuum leak can cause rough idle, but will run okay otherwise. Before you take it in, check all hoses leading to the intake manifold for leaks.

I'd check the engine mounts myself first. That's always my first check with a wobbley engine.

yes engine mounts and trans mount. The 4.0L V6 (all 60 degree Ford V6's FYI) are known for a slight wobble during idle, a V6 will never run as smooth as a V8.

Ford used a band aid or two to fight this, in the early models they actually had a small shock absorber attached to the drivers side engine mount.

If your engine mounts and trans mount are worn (if they are original, they are) then it will be amplified.

a Full tune up can fight this, but like I said every 4.0L OHV I have owned had a slight "wobble" at idle, especially with the factory set idle of 800 RPM.

Thanks a lot.....

.....but next fall I'm going to do a 5.0 swap. I was planning on doing it this spring, but decided to work on the suspension first. Since I'm doing the swap, I'm not too woried about the wobble, I just figured that if it were something that was an easy fix, I'd do it.

Now with this question, I know I'm going to get a lot of comments about doing a search, but I don't have the time now, and this might be quicker. When I do the swap, is it possible to just buy a manual 5.0 mustang and rip out all the parts and put them into my explorer, or will I still have to buy a lot of crap????????? Also, since the V8 will need a different trans. can I get a manual mustang, use the trans from it, and just hook up the 5 speed shifter to the new trans, or will I have to do a lot of work to get a floor shifter to fit it??????

Thanks for your patience and help.

floor shifter is the least of your concerns.

The 5.0L conversion has been done every way shape and form.
Yes you can use a Mustang 5.0L, yes you can use a Mustang 5.0L transmission, auto or stick.
People have used 5.0L's from cars, stangs, f-150's, and even explorer's to put into their Ranger/Explorer.
The floor shifter location is something to consider when you place the engine in the truck, but it should be close enough to be workable.

A car engine and trans is not always the best choice for a heavy truck IMO.

You really need to search and research the 5.0L conversion and figure out which drivetrain you want and why.
There are LOTS of choices, engine and transmission wise.

Back