engine wouldnt accelerate | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

engine wouldnt accelerate

To check for codes, plug in an OBD2 scanner to the diagnostic port under the driver side dash. dead center. any autozone will do this for free.

are the fluids red? dark red? black?

A trans WILL NOT operate correctly if the fluid level isn't correct, since automatic transmissions such as this, operate on pneumatic pressure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To check for codes, plug in an OBD2 scanner to the diagnostic port under the driver side dash. dead center. any autozone will do this for free.

are the fluids red? dark red? black?

A trans WILL NOT operate correctly if the fluid level isn't correct, since automatic transmissions such as this, operate on pneumatic pressure.

bright red in color, and autozone , cool. ill see when i can get to it...

bright red in color, and autozone , cool. ill see when i can get to it...

goin to store after school! ill tell yall what happens....

so they checked the thing, all that came back was , bad oxygen sensor.... nothing else, he checked it twice....????? any thoughts?

a bad o2 code can mean a clogged cat do know if read sensor 1 or 2 bank 1 or 2 is its sensor 2 on either bank cat may be clogged under load the engine will struggle to rev when this occurs the trans is going to feel like its down shifting to first gear when the stall catches it will lurch figure out which bank it is with the engine cold shake that catalytic converter if you hear a lot of rattling in it disconnect it then try to drive the truck use a coat hanger to keep the rest of the exhaust from hitting the ground

a bad o2 code can mean a clogged cat do know if read sensor 1 or 2 bank 1 or 2 is its sensor 2 on either bank cat may be clogged under load the engine will struggle to rev when this occurs the trans is going to feel like its down shifting to first gear when the stall catches it will lurch figure out which bank it is with the engine cold shake that catalytic converter if you hear a lot of rattling in it disconnect it then try to drive the truck use a coat hanger to keep the rest of the exhaust from hitting the ground

ok ill look at the cats

Hello. I am new to this forum. I have a '96 Explorer Sport v6 4.0. I recently started having problems with the transmission. First: it would slip between 2nd and 3rd gear. That only went on for about two days, then everything worked fine. Now: when you take off from a complete stop, the truck will not accelerate normally. The engine goes to about 2500 rpm's, but will just accelerate slowly. The truck runs and shifts fine in all other gears. I would appreciate any help I can get on this issue. Thanks.

Hello. I am new to this forum. I have a '96 Explorer Sport v6 4.0. I recently started having problems with the transmission. First: it would slip between 2nd and 3rd gear. That only went on for about two days, then everything worked fine. Now: when you take off from a complete stop, the truck will not accelerate normally. The engine goes to about 2500 rpm's, but will just accelerate slowly. The truck runs and shifts fine in all other gears. I would appreciate any help I can get on this issue. Thanks.

ya my truck X does the same thing. it doesnt slip as much anymore, but do the same thing as what all the guys on here have done , and maybe we can figure out this thing together.... my x has NOT done what yours is doin in the last few days. but go to autozone in have them check you car with a obd2 scanner... its free....but that is why i started this thread because of my x doing what your second problem is

Back