• Register Today It's free!

EPC Solenoid 5R55E Change

awhughes

Reaction score
City, State
Kernersville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 exp, xlt sohc, 4x4
I am considering the EPC solenoid change due to my occasional 2-3 flare. How difficult is this change? How is the solenoid attached inside the trans? Is it inserted into the VB in any way? Is the only thing retaining the EPC a bracket and wiring harness?
Also, I am going to re-torque the VB bolts. Does anyone have the bolt torque sequence for the VB? I am going to inspect for obvious gasket blowout while in there. I have 165,000 miles with no other drivetrain issues.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is a torque sequence diagram from Glacier991's photo gallery:
15286DSCN6227.jpg

Thanks BrooklynBay for the diagram. Is there a procedure for changing the EPC solenoid posted anywhere from a Ford repair manual?

The EPC solenoid actually just slips into the valve body. If you can get the pan off, you can change the solenoid.

I have a brand new one that was stuck in and removed before driving, if you are interested.

Changing out the solenoid only requires that with the pan off you remove a single bolt and a bracket it holds in place... slide the old one out and the new one in. Replace the bracket and the bolt and it's in.

Back