• Register Today It's free!

Error code P0715

Chris Harrach

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, Ga.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Eddie Bauer 4WD
Greetings all. Here's the problem. The other day, my Explorer gave a hard jerk while changing into 2 (maybe 3rd?) gear. Never happened before. I was under 20 MPH & had just stared it. Speedometer works as do all the dials. My Check Engine light came on & when I had the code pulled it read quote "P0715."Transmission Speed Sensor circuit condition. Vehicle speed above 15 MPH while transmission output shaft speed below 60 RPM. Possible cause Failed transmission speed sensor or electrical problem"
I got a Transmission Speed Sensor, (which I haven't put in yet), and was told that this would solve the problem. My question is twofold: Is there ANY chance this is a false or misread code and the problem is something else? And could ANOTHER sensor attached to the transmission be the cause? All I've read about this problem, say's replacing the Transmission Speed Sensor is preceded by the SPEEDOMETER quitting.
It's a 4x4 but I don't use 4x4. In fact I've driven it without the forward drive shaft ever since I had the BW4405 Transfer Case replaced. Not looking forward to fooling around with the TC again. Thanks in advance for any & all responses.

Chris :salute:

Cleared the PO715 code/changed sensor, but same problem.

I cleared the code and drove it for several days. Drove fine at first, then the Tranny once again started doing the same thing and the code came back. I replaced sensor, but same symptoms: Check engine Light came back on. I took it to have the code read & sure enough, the same PO715 code with the same explanation. Not sure where to look next. Any other sensors on this transmission & TC that I need to check? It's starting to get on my nerves. :mad:

Back