• Register Today It's free!

Error codes o171 & o174

5fingerblu

Reaction score
City, State
Missoula,Montana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Limited
First post thanks in advance. My 97 Explorer has been sending out the check engine light way to much lately. Error codes 0171 & 0174 both running lean codes. Never know which one is going to come on. Check engine light only comes only during city driving never during highway driving.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try cleaning your MAF sensor with MAF sensor cleaner, if that doesn't work most likely you need intake gaskets. Which motor do you have?

Check out the post attached below,
2002 sport trac check engine light

REPLY TO error codes 0171 & 0174

Thanks guys for info. Reply to 1998 Explodasport . I just installed new used engine after major problem. I was having same problem with old engine. ALL gaskets have been replaced. I will try cleaning MAF sensor. I have never done this is there a thread about it ? I from old school mechanics with no electronics. Thx Dennis

Thanks guys for info. Reply to 1998 Explodasport . I just installed new used engine after major problem. I was having same problem with old engine. ALL gaskets have been replaced. I will try cleaning MAF sensor. I have never done this is there a thread about it ? I from old school mechanics with no electronics. Thx Dennis

Just buy the MAF cleaner at AZ or another auto parts store and follow the directions. It's also possible that if the MAF is bad cleaning it will not always help but it usually does.

Also have you checked the fuel pressure at all, it's possible that you are actually running lean because of a bad fuel pump.

Hi Guys I cleaned maf today the Explorer 5.0 feels a little more alive. We'll have to see if the 0171 & 0174 codes pop back up. Thx Again

I am having the 171 174 problem with my 01 explorer sport installed new MAF didn't fix the problem

From alldata. 0171 running lean or rich issues might be the following Excessive fuel pressure or Leaking / contaminated fuel injectors.

Leaking fuel pressure regulator
Low fuel pressure
Vapor recovery system
MAF air leak
Vacuum leak
PVC system
Improperly seated oil dipstick
Leaking or stuck EGR
Oil overflow
Cam timing
Cylinder compression.
Exhaust leak before the O2 sensor

Sorry for the long list

From alldata. 0171 running lean or rich issues might be the following Excessive fuel pressure or Leaking / contaminated fuel injectors.

Leaking fuel pressure regulator
Low fuel pressure
Vapor recovery system
MAF air leak
Vacuum leak
PVC system
Improperly seated oil dipstick
Leaking or stuck EGR
Oil overflow
Cam timing
Cylinder compression.
Exhaust leak before the O2 sensor