Essential spare parts and checks for a 4k drive | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Essential spare parts and checks for a 4k drive

Watkanermisgaan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie Bauer
Fellow explorers,

This July we will be participating in a 4k drive around the European continent. Starting from Holland (unfortunately i cannot post a Dutch flag next to this thread), touching Ukraine and then returning home through Austria and Germany.
We bought a '91 Explorer for this purpose.

Before we go I intend to do a slight overhaul of the transmission, change oil, oil filter and air filter.
Anything else I should definitely check or do?

Now for this quest, what spare parts do you guys recommend?
No we don't have time to do tranny swaps on the go (would be fun though).

I already thought fluids, being oil, ATF, coolant, alcoholic beverages (for the non-designated drivers).

But what else?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

een heel goede middag - I'd get a bunch of fan belts, inner tubes for tires (plus the tools to fix them in the field), spark plugs/wires, thermostat, radiator cap, a big bucket of RTV, windshield foil, wiper blades, fuses, relays, fuel Filter, pump, maybe a spare ECM, but, most of all, I'd stay clear from the Ukraine right now.

Also change transfer case and differential fluids.

Goede middag inderdaad :).
Thanks for the suggestions, I hadn't thought about some of them, they're on my list now.

About the transfer case and diff fluids, they were lower on my list than the transmission and motor oil.
I will look into it.

About Ukraine, the organization follows the situation. And i'd rather not find myself in a fight between Ukraine revolutionaries and Russian tanks and jets.
So, we'll see what the summer brings us, the route is easily changed if necessary.

I like your nick, btw ...what can go wrong?

I'm assuming this is a 4wd so, if it doesn't have manual hubs, I'd put them on now as the auto hubs are pretty weak.

Also, I'd add front wheel bearings (at least a couple set-37 from Timken), wheel bearing grease and a couple front wheel bearing seals.

I'd also have at least a spare rear u-joint and possibly a spare front one..

I don't know how much off pavement you will be doing so I don't know how hard you will be on vehicles..

A few other things would be tire plugs and an air compressor can come in handy too...

I'm trying to think of the things I used to carry when our X was a Daily Driver. Now that is spends more time off-road than on road the list of what we carry has changed...

Oh yea, make sure you have a decent supply of tools..

~Mark

It's only 4k miles....
I'd make sure your maintenance is good. Bring a few bottles of coolant & oil, & make sure your spare is good and bring a tire repair kit & 12V air compressor.
I don't see you needing actual parts like belts, hoses, plugs, water pump....things like that.

It's only 4k miles....
I'd make sure your maintenance is good. Bring a few bottles of coolant & oil, & make sure your spare is good and bring a tire repair kit & 12V air compressor.
I don't see you needing actual parts like belts, hoses, plugs, water pump....things like that.

The issue as I see it isn't the 4k, it is 4k where you can't get parts..

If we were talking 4k miles across the US with AAA you don't need much. If you wanted to be self sufficient you need a little more but you can still find parts.. From how I understand what the OP is doing, it's a self sufficient trip where you can't get parts..

~Mark

The issue as I see it isn't the 4k, it is 4k where you can't get parts..

If we were talking 4k miles across the US with AAA you don't need much. If you wanted to be self sufficient you need a little more but you can still find parts.. From how I understand what the OP is doing, it's a self sufficient trip where you can't get parts..

~Mark
Erhm, you're both sorta right.

Indeed, it's not the end of the world, so help will be available. It will be mostly roads so that's not a real problem as well. And 4k is not that much.

But; american car parts are a tad more difficult to find here in the Netherlands, let alone eastern Europe.
That is one of the purposes of this topic. Right now I still have time to order certain parts if I find problems doing some preventive maintenance and checks.
Like changing the fluids of the transfer case and hubs.

A lot of the parts you guys suggested are now on my list.

And lets see if I can find an air compressor for a decent price.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Back