estimating lift height from springs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

estimating lift height from springs

Minivek

Reaction score
City, State
Quebec, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Limited Ex silver
Hi all, I need to know if its possible to determine lift gained from leaf springs before install. I've got my original sport 2 leaf pack, an F150 5 leaf pack in good condition, lots of arc still, and another pack that was custom made to gain 2.5-3 inches approx.

The reason for this is I have a 4 inch lift kit, and I'm still unsure about going SOA, altough it might be the simplest way to go, and I'm thinking that truck would level out nice with a couple 100 lbs in the trunk or back seat (tool chest, 1 or 2 passengers in the truck, full tank etc.)

Any tips as to how to mix and match the leaves in order to gain 4 inches is welcome. Thanks a lot!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump

I got about 4" from my leaf packs which are all of my explorer leafs, two leaves from an older F150 leaf pack. It's still SUA, with some shackles. It is a stiff ride!

EDIT- there is no way to tell, it all depends on the condition of the leaf springs.

anyone?

thanks mountaineer, Also, would putting shackles to complete the 4" lift in the back diminish stability or handling compared to making a 4" lift spring pack by adding my F-150 leaves, the old explorer leaves are shot but all the other ones are in real good condition.

I haven't noticed anything, I personally couldn't get 4" out of my leafpacks without the shackles. I haven't noticed any problems with it and use my Mountaineer to tow still.

When I no longer have to use it for heavy towing, I am going to get a superlift leafpack set and put in. It will be a better ride quality and flex better.

how much does the rear sag when you tow with it? I think I'm gonna try to get so that its pretty close to being level when I have 3 passengers and 200 pounds in the trunk. I'm sick of losing 2 inches of clearance in the rear everytime I have a couple of people and my toolbox. thanx

I don't have much sag at all , even with my travel trailer. The second leaf of the F150 pack is almost as long as the main leaf, so that helps quite a bit with the squat. Even with a bunch of junk and people I have very little squat. When its empty though, it rides rough.

does the rear hop around when empty or does it just bang around more? I basically want the wheels to stay in contact with the ground, and I'm also thinking having a stiffer rear might help with keeping body lean on turns to a minimum. how's the rear doing on crappy streets on straights and turns?

does the rear hop around when empty or does it just bang around more? I basically want the wheels to stay in contact with the ground, and I'm also thinking having a stiffer rear might help with keeping body lean on turns to a minimum. how's the rear doing on crappy streets on straights and turns?

I haven't had any trouble with hop or turning, but over rough roads, it will rattle your teeth. I don't have much body roll, I can still corner pretty well.

Perfect, that's basically what I'm looking for.

Thanks a lot

Back