• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Evaluation of Redline’s WaterWetter

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
Good thoughts. The Water Weter does work, but these later model vehicles with such efficient radiators, will not show anything(thermostat).

I've experienced a noticeable drop in the dummy gauge after running about 25% antifreeze and Water Weter.

The fan and thermostat control how much cooling to provide to maintain the normal temperature. I like that the Redline product improves the efficiency of the system. Overheating is less likely, it's cheaper than antifreeze now, etc. Regards,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
gijoecam said:
Increasing the pressure rating of the cap does nothing for controlling the operating temperature, or the heat rejection properties of the water. It DOES affect the boiling point (increasing the max pressure increases the boiling point of the SYSTEM, but does not decrease the operating temperature)

-Joe
If you look at WWW.Stant.Com, you will see that they sell performance radiator caps for race cars only with a pressure rating of 19-24 LBS. If you increase the boiling point, will that help maintain a certain level of cooling for an extended period of time if it does nothing to the actual temperature? In other words, will it help the cooling system stay at 195 degrees for a longer period of time as opposed to a lower pressure cap which might increase the temperature fluctuation?

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
Raising the pressure would not change the running temperature, it would raise the boling point. I'd rather increase the cooling capacity without raising the psi inside of the system. Heater hoses are usually the weak link(you blow a hose). So keep the best fluid inside, and keep good hoses on it.

old mechanic

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
R.I.
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
james t said:
Yes, if its stock and has a stock cooling system in proper working order. Even so, more water will transfer heat more efficiently and thus take some of the strain off of the cooling system. In other words, the stat will be able to close sooner and stay closed longer since the coolant is doing a better job at both absorbing heat from the engine and shedding heat in the radiator. Add a cam, headers, more fuel, bigger engine swap, etc. etc. etc. and you can see were this all snowballs. In a stock-ish vehicle it doesnt matter.
--------------
Yup! I totaly agree that straight water will provide a cooler engine. I wish we could use it but can't. My son uses some kind of additive called "purple something?" product added straight to water and very little antifreeze for a cooler run when he is racing. No turbo, no surper charger, no nitros and he runs somewhere in the 12.00s with a Chevelle 6 cy.