• Register Today It's free!

evap code

Frosty601

Reaction score
City, State
Novato, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
02' Explorere XLT
So, for the past month Ive been throwing a small evap leak code after i fill my tank. I think its the filler neck that is leaking possibly. Anyone have the same issue.

Edit: Code is {P0442 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)}

02' Explorer xlt
4.0 v6

This code is usually caused by the gas cap itself. When done filling and replacing the cap press firmly when twisting the cap. I have OCD so when done I have to have the cap straight up and down. You can also replace the cap. I had a mechanic friend of mine tell me to apply a light coat of white lithium grease to the gasket on the cap. He said this causes the gasket to swell up a little causing a better seal.

I already tried it, and it didn't fix the issue. I think its the evap can in the back by the tank. Its got valves in it that are supposed to open and close.

This happens to my Expedition once in a while. If it doesn't go away in a few days I just give the evap can a couple of wacks with a stick and it fixes the problem. It's probably just sticky valves after 16 years.

Back