• Register Today It's free!

Even OEM fob won't program! :/

newmission

Reaction score
City, State
Toledo, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer XLT 5.0 AWD
First off, hello to everyone! It's a pleasure. :)

I just decided to switch SUVs from a Blazer, to an Explorer because I was tired to fixing everything that shook itself apart on the Blazer! So far the EX has been a beast! :)

My EX came with an aftermarket remote, and a single key. I personally like things to be as factory as possible for functionality, and resale purposes. So I ventured out and bought a set off fobs off Amazon.

Went through the procedure to program them, cycle the ignition eight times and press lock button on each remote. OK. Seemed simple enough, and worked without an issue.

However the only remote that "worked" was the aftermarket one. The other two (new) remotes would only cycle the lock on the driver's door, and when "locked" the THEFT light would stay on and no locks would actuate.

Great! ...So I called the dealer, got the part number, went on eBay and bought two OEM remotes. When they arrived, I programmed the same and got the same results. ...Unlocking only the driver's door, and when "lock" button was pressed, the THEFT light would stay on with no other actions.

So here's what I have. Anyone ever seen a remote like this? I know my 99 EX XLT has factory keyless entry because it does go into programming mode like it should.

8165212837_6cb1b12335_c.jpg

I think you need to press the unlock a second time... :) I think one press equals driver's door, two press equals all doors.

I think you need to press the unlock a second time... :) I think one press equals driver's door, two press equals all doors.

Sound logical. However the aftermarket remote only requires one press for all doors. And that still leaves the question as to why the THEFT light stays on after pressing the lock button but nothing locks.

cause locking the doors isn't connected "wire wise" to the light. Its an operation that the system doesn't know failed (or not), its "programmed" to start flashing the theft light. As for oem versus after market, I guess the aftermarket guys didn't read the ford operator's manual... :)

Back