Everything adapter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Everything adapter

I have a few things I tow, and a few different vehicles to tow them with. Rather than mess with the factory wiring, I made my own everything adapter. One one side I have a seven flat pin RV, a six round, and a four flat connector, all female. On the other end I put a seven flat pin RV, and a six round, all male. Now I can tow my horse trailer, which has a seven blade with both my Silverado pickup and my RV, and I can also to my explorer with both of the above vehicles. I can now also tow my horse trailer, explorer, utility trailer and wire up the set of magnetic lights, all with one adapter. Would have cost me at least $75.00 to buy all those adapters, and about $50.00 to change out all the plugs on my vehicles / trailers to the largest type plug. This cost me about $10.00 because I had most of it at home.
My towing hookups;
RV - six pin round connector
Pickup - seven flat pin round connector
Explorer - seven flat pin round connector
Horse trailer - Seven flat pin round connector
Explorer as towed vehicle - six pin round connector
Utility trailer - four flat connector
Magnetic lights - four flat connector

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 150 came with a 7 flat pin round and a 4 flat built in:dunno:

Maybe you just have to many things to plug in:p:

I wired both my trucks with the same 6 pin connector, then all three trailers to match.
Then I met my fiancee LOL and her two trucks threw a wrench into the whole thing...

Great idea you have there, everything adapter.....hmmmm

:thumbsup:

Attachments

• BkennedyAdapter.jpg
    BkennedyAdapter.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 288
  • IZAdapter.jpg
    IZAdapter.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 302

Today when I was checking the adapter to make sure it would work with the motorhome, I realized that all I had to do was add a seven pin RV type adapter and leave the six in place, then get an adapter that goes from a seven RV type to a six round and a four flat (I saw one at Wal Mart for 15.00). It would have saved me a heck of a lot of work. Oh, well someday I will get around to that.:p:

Well today I decided that the everything adapter was too big and cumbersome so I took it apart. Welded up a mounting bracket to the RV's hitch, and mounted the female seven pin hookup, leaving the six pin in place (replaced it yesterday with a metal unit because the stock one was the cheapest piece of plastic crap ever made in Taiwan). Took some of the leftover parts from the everything adapter and made an adapter from a seven pin to a six round and four flat. Now I can hook up nearly every trailer ever made to all three vehicles I can tow with. The really crazy part is, it all works!:thumbsup: And on the first try too. No easy feat since the RV wires at the hookup are all yellow, the same gauge and unmarked.

Back