List of Useful Threads - Everything I know about the M5OD-R1 & BW1354M | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Everything I know about the M5OD-R1 & BW1354M

could you suggest a good true synthetic atf for the m5od-r1

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I added some new items in the Part Numbers section on the 1st page.

Also, sorry I never completed this thread. Someone PM'ed me with a question, so I rattled off a quick summary of how to do the Auto to Manual swap from the top of my head. It's at the bottom of page 1.

5th and reverse synchronizer

I know it's been some time since this thread was posted in, but I thought it might be worth a try.

I'm driving a 1989 ford ranger with a 2.9 liter v6, and the m5od-21 transmission (5 speed manual). Just recently it lost 5th gear and reverse. Reverse works if I hold the shifter lever in reverse, but only sometimes, and I feel like that can't be good for the transmission.

As far as my research goes, I've been told I need to replace a synchronizer, or synchronizer cone has been damaged.

What I'm wondering is if this is worth the effort? Should I get a new (rebuilt) transmission, or try to swap out the parts myself?

jkrypod, I'm not knowledgable yet in the actual internal rebuild of transmissions. I think there is a post on this or another Ford forum for the rebuild of a M5R1.

A lot of people have been asking me about the electrical part of the Auto to Manual swap. I added a write-up on the 1st page with exact directions on how to mod your auto wiring harness without having to make any PCM changes. I'm uploading the pics now, so check back in an hour to see those.

I believe I have a wealth of information on this topic and have been wanting to share it for years (and record it in one place for myself), but I could never get myself organized enough to do it. So I am finally getting the ball rolling, better late than never, and will slowly fill everything in. Please be patient.

The Mazda M5OD-R1 (a.k.a. M5R1), and it's upgrade, the M5OD-R1HD, are the manual transmissions that will bolt up to both the Ford 160hp 4.0L OHV and the 210hp 4.0L SOHC V6 engines.

The Borg Warner 1354 Manual is the manual 4x4 transfer case that will bolt up to the Ford 4.0L V6 manual or automatic transmissions.

I am a "manual" connoisseur. When car shopping in 1999, my two criteria were truck and manual transmission. This brought me to the Wrangler and the Explorer. A test drive sealed the deal. When signing the paperwork, the dealer broke the bad news that the manual, at the time, was only available in the fully stripped down version with the weaker OHV engine. I settled.

With the help of this forum, I converted my SOHC engine to a manual transmission and it was the greatest thing I have ever done in my life. I am now in the process of converting my BW 4405 electric automatic transfer case to the manual.

Hi: Hope your still here to give me some info. I have a 2003 Expl. Sport 2door with a factory manual trans,. Does my Expl, have the R1-HD trans, or the R1 ? I want to install a Hurst shifter for the Ranger and was told that it would fit. But I was told by Hurst that it won't fit the R1-HD trans. And may not fit the Explorer, because it was not fitted in one. Hope you can help! Rich,

I know nothing about 3rd Gen Ex's. Which engine do you have? The latest factory shop manual CD I have is 2002, which only mentions the M5OD-R4 in the manual trans section. I would think you at least have the M5OD-R1HD, I don't think they made/were using the non-HD R1 by this late.

If you do have the R1HD as opposed to the R4 or something else, I see no reason why a shifter designed for the non-HD R1 would not fit the R1HD. Then again, I'm not personally familiar with the internals of these transmissions. If you have the R1HD, I would order the Hurst and give it a shot (try to keep it clean until you know it will fit for sure) and return it if it doesn't. If Hurst is not down with this experiment, then just lie to them and tell them you have a 94 Ex with a non-HD R1 and swear to them it didn't fit. This might be why Hurst is under the impression it doesn't fit the HD, because someone actually had a R4, but told Hurst they had a R1HD and it didn't fit.

Thanks for your reply! Yes I have the HD R1. The 2002- 2003 Sport chassis is just about the same as a 2nd gen, model. I have the 4.0 V-6. I'ts just that when I looked up the shifter on Amazon to order one It said it fit the Ranger with a R1 trans but it would not fit the same Ranger with a R1 HD. Is there a diff, in the trans where the shifter attaches? Thanks for your help!

97 5r55e to 98 m5od-r1 swap

I have a 97 Mazda b4000 4x4 4.0ohv auto(5r55e). I also have a5od-r1 out of a 98 ranger 4.0 4x4. I'm mid way through the swapping out the auto for the manual trans and realized that the 5r55e has a oss (output shaft sensor) and the m5od-r1 doesn't have the hole on the tail housing for a oss to go in...sigh

Before I install the m5r1 i want to know if i leave the oss un pluged, what issues will i run into?

Is it possible to swap out the tail housing, so the m5r1 i have can accommodate the an oss? If so what parts will i need and how do i install them?

thanks,
Daniel

I left the Output Shaft Speed (OSS) Sensor disconnected and open circuit. I think I was prepping the wires to connect to the new R1HD's OSS Sensor, but forgot if I ever tried that or not. In any event, everything runs fine with it everything to the very top of the transmission.

Just make sure we're talking about the Trans Output Shaft Speed sensor and not the Vehicle Speed Sensor. Confirm your VSS is in the rear differential.

97 5r55e to 98 m5od-r1 swap

yes, I have a vss in the top of the transfer case which will be hooked up. the oss on the 97 5R55E trans in on the top of the tail housing.

I finally got around to installing my BW1354. The BW1354 is 1" shorter than the BW4405 and your rear driveshaft (at least 2-door) will definitely not fit. It's probably best to get your DS lengthened at a shop, but I used the Steeda 17mm (11/16") Driveshaft Spacer 555-7707 (marketed for Mustang 8.8s). JEGS also makes a version of the spacer.

I still need to source a 91-94 front driveshaft (I'm using the more common 91-94 non-CV cup version BW1354). Of note, an 89 Dodge Dakota front driveshaft has the exact fitting but is roughly 5" too short.

there's brains on my keyboard

this is an excellent thread.... i have been thinking about doing this swap to my 2002 sport using the M5r1HD as well. spent a good time trying to hunt down information on doing it to. found this, and my mind exploded...

...thanks for taking the time and putting all this in one place man.

Hey Bones how did it drive with the BW4405 transfer case after the swap? Did all your 4wd modes work properly?

Hey Bones how did it drive with the BW4405 transfer case after the swap? Did all your 4wd modes work properly?

I went FROM the BW4405 to a BW1354m. I got a front driveshaft from a '95 since my last post. (Side note: those Harry's U-Pull-Its in PA are gold mines for Exs!) Remember, there's supposed to be funky things about the 95 & 96 driveshafts. Not sure if the 95 front is any different from 91-94 fronts, but it fit my 99 perfectly.

One thing I was concerned about was swapping from a CV cup front driveshaft to the cruder double-cardon. The DCs were fitted on EXs with manual hubs or vacuum actuated front diffs, which means the front ds only spun when 4x4 was activated. The CVs were fitted on "auto" hubs, which means the front ds spins all the time. I was worried about the vibration side effects of having the DC spin constantly.

Well, I have not noticed any problems with this, which was a happy surprise.

To answer your question, for me, switching from an auto transmission to a manual was a no brainer better decision. However, in the t-case world, switching from an auto to a manual is pretty much a downgrade. I shamefully miss the auto option. For street driving, it is clearly better. I never slipped a tire in the rain with the 4405, but the 1354 can make an embarrassing situation at a stop sign on a wet hill.

I don't know if I really know how to use a man t-case. Is 4x4 High only for when you are stuck in mud, or do you engage it if your doing a highway trip while its raining? The 1354 binds terribly in tight turns in 4x4, but I know this is normal from my wife's wrangler JK.

Yes, all modes work.

Hey Bones 1 more ? What is the watt rating of the 270ohm resistor you used in your trans wiring? After trying to find a new computer and failing! And incompetent ford dealership service tech employees that have no clue weather they can reprogram mine to manual even though it say you can in IDS... I have just decided to use your trick to lie to my PCM!

Hey Bones 1 more ? What is the watt rating of the 270ohm resistor you used in your trans wiring? After trying to find a new computer and failing! And incompetent ford dealership service tech employees that have no clue weather they can reprogram mine to manual even though it say you can in IDS... I have just decided to use your trick to lie to my PCM!

They are the thicker of the two sizes of tan-colored hobby resistors at radioshack, which I believe is 1/2 Watt. I forget the exact combo, I just dumped out my box of resistors and put some in parallel & serial to get 270.

Thanks man! And as for how you are supposed to use 4wd, I think it just depends on what part of the country your in! I was taught by an old man out here in Colorado that you never use 4wd... it is only for when you get stuck... but my mom puts her manual t case Tacoma in 4 high if there is even a 1/2" of snow on the road then drives 50 miles to work... and never had a problem. So I think the use of 4wd is just dependent on your driving style and skills... I learned how to drive on icy roads so I like 2wd until 4 is absolutely necessary there nothing funner then using your rear wheels to steer :). I am seriously considering the 1354 swap in my 2000 exploder because the 4405 makes things to easy and you can't do cookies in the snow with it! Thanks again this was a great write up and has helped me a bunch in gathering the stuff I needed for my manual trans swap!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am seriously considering the 1354 swap in my 2000 exploder because the 4405 makes things to easy and you can't do cookies in the snow with it!

This is really the deciding factor.

I'm definitely keeping the 1354, but I wanted to note its a big change from having an auto feature. I've been using your mom's style right now. I feel bad otherwise because I would almost never be using 4wd. I also feel its good to get those gears moving every once in a while.

Back