Solved - Everything you wanted to know about PATS. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Everything you wanted to know about PATS.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
When you start from scratch with differing PCM or PATS module, it has to be reprogrammed.

Each start of the engine requires the matching(programmed) PCM, PATS, and key code.

I would like to ask a PCM programmer about using a tune(program) which disables the PATS. That is a common parameter that programmers can do. I wonder if it would let a person skip the programming step if the program was reflashed to begin with, with the PATS disabled.

You could ask James that, if you might choose to buy a flasher as well. The PATS didn't cost me anything with my dealer friend, but some places charge way too much.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hi there, my pats module played up and gave a code 6, so i bought a complete set of ecu,pats,keys,remote and barrel quiet cheap from the doner explorer, we replaced it all with this new set from a working explorer and now its giving us code 5? how could the keys not work after?

What are those error codes, and did you replace the code receiver at the key cylinder?

we replaced that too, still flashing 5

I asked because I think that is the most fragile part.

I have a '98 Mountaineer and my key does not have a black thing on the end of it (original is lost). Correct me if I'm wrong but according to this my car shouldn't start? The black thing on the end is the transponder (<- correct word?) isn't it?

I am installing an '00 Mountaineer V8 into an old Volvo. Tripped onto PATS. Have the engine, transmission, PCM from the donor vehicle. Local Ford dealer tech says that the PATS cannot be bypassed by a reprogram of the PCM.

How can I deal with the PATS issue?

A new program can disable it, as well as tweak the top speed, rev limit, turn off the rear O2's, and improve the engine tune, trans shifting etc. New programming is not cheap, but worth it. Look into an SCT Excal II or III flasher, that is likely required for that kind of swap. Others have done it, and a couple of examples are on this site somewhere.

FYI, you might also need the PATS module, that I'm not sure about. Ask James Henson if he knows that, he does the programming, here.

Which keys fit which cars?

What options are available for a person wanting to make a spare key? could I cut and program a blank PATS key from any model year.

Or, can a blank key for a 2005 Explorer be programmed into a 1998 Explorer?

I received two keys for my used mountaineer, they are scratched up and one had been painted a few times, I'd like to make a new key to carry around and use the 2 scuffed up/damaged keys as spares.

spare keys

I have no first hand experience but from what I've read you can purchase a blank key on the internet, have it cut to match your spare keys, and then reprogram it yourself in your vehicle. You have to have at least 2 coded keys to program another key yourself. That's why it's always good to have 3 spare keys so you can program another if one is lost. I purchased a blank key on eBay but haven't cut it yet. I only have one working key (I purchased an abandoned vehicle) so I will have to go to a PATS knowledgeable locksmith to get the second key programmed. If the new key works then I'll buy two more on eBay, cut them and then program them myself.

I have no first hand experience but from what I've read you can purchase a blank key on the internet, have it cut to match your spare keys, and then reprogram it yourself in your vehicle. You have to have at least 2 coded keys to program another key yourself. That's why it's always good to have 3 spare keys so you can program another if one is lost. I purchased a blank key on eBay but haven't cut it yet. I only have one working key (I purchased an abandoned vehicle) so I will have to go to a PATS knowledgeable locksmith to get the second key programmed. If the new key works then I'll buy two more on eBay, cut them and then program them myself.

My question is about Which keys a person can use for which cars.
I understand that a key needs to have the transponder, it needs to be cut, and it needs to be programmed. there are many different varieties of replacement keys available, from many different aftermarket makers. the chart that was posted shows 28 different keys from ford. are there differences between the keys?

Or is any PATS key usable in any PATS vehicle? could I use a Lincoln key in a ford? or, Could I use a 2010 key in a 2000 car?

My 2000 Mountaineer key is quite large, my neighbors 2009 Grand Marquis Key is smaller. I'd rather buy the smaller key.

So, again

You can as long as you have 2 keys to progam the 3rd. If you don't have 2 then your SOL.. Get the key that goes with your year vehicle since the transponder frequency and design might be different from ford key blank.

You can as long as you have 2 keys to progam the 3rd. If you don't have 2 then your SOL.. Get the key that goes with your year vehicle since the transponder frequency and design might be different from ford key blank.

Shall I ask my question again? I specifically asked if I need to buy the same type of key that came with my car, or can i cut and program a blank key from a 2010 explorer to use in a 1998 explorer.

I found the answer to my question in a post from 2005

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68728&highlight=pats+key
Member Jefe said-------I beleive that 2002+ is no longer the PATS II system. I know the key changed, and the transponder changed with it (I actually have an '02 key cut to fit my explorer and it won't program in). Whether or not you can program a second key from one by yourself, I wouldn't think so unless the owners manual says so.

Shall I ask my question again? I specifically asked if I need to buy the same type of key that came with my car, or can i cut and program a blank key from a 2010 explorer to use in a 1998 explorer.

I'm sure all of the key sellers on eBay etc all list model applications for each key, but be careful about which are accurate. The dealer or good locksmiths would be the best source for those answers.

If you have two working keys, ugly or not, that's what you need just to start reprogramming other keys. Take good care of working keys until you get others programmed.

I ran into the same issue. It turned out the PATS was not communicating with the PCM.
The PCM relay wasn't making good contact in the socket. I used a little di-electric greese on the contacts of the relay & the problem cleared up.
It's usually the little things that get you.

Hi Larry,
Thanks for the link, and your time, and concern, will give it a go.....sounds a bit too complicated for me....will take it to a dealer.

Hey guys. I just got a remote start for my car and it looks like I need the bypass for my 2000 Ford Explorer Sport. What if I left the key in the ignition? Would I still need the bypass? Sure my truck could get stolen but still..:)

Use the kind of bypass module which uses an actual key.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back