• Register Today It's free!

Ex chop with a 4runner hatch

1991fordexploder

Reaction score
City, State
Sanford, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT stock
i havent posted a thread in a while because of lack of internet. but anyway here's my idea. some of you guys might not like this. i want to chop behind my rear doors, roof and all. and weld a 4runner hatch with the sliding window behind the doors and cut the X hatch and turn it into a tail gate.

I would like to hear some oppinions good and bad. if anyone could photochop one for me i would appreciate it very much.

thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you actually do a good job it'll look great it's been done before.

explorerpickup.jpg

But unless it's a really good job it'll look really bad.

Your main consideration will be positioning the window so it has enough room to go all the way down. The rear fenderwells will be in the way unless the back glass is fairly sloped.

Other than that it should work, there are plenty of chopped up 4 doors, if you seal the cab and make a tailgate (with extra material to support the rear with the top now cut off), it should make a lot of people do double takes if it's clean enough to look factory.

If you actually do a good job it'll look great it's been done before.

explorerpickup.jpg

But unless it's a really good job it'll look really bad.

Heads up on that photo. Its a fake. A really good one at that.

But yeah if you can manage to do it cleanly it should look great. I always liked that look.

what if i were to put the body on a short bed reg or extended cab f150 frame, and stretch the body a few inches between the fender tubs and rear seats?

just saw this chopped 4 runner and made me think of this thread. Honestly this thing looks like a jacked up car, I can barely tell what way is forward, but then again I've never been a big fan of chopped tops. Thought it would be good for some inspiration for you guys. more pics at bovads.com

DSCN7241.jpg

what if i were to put the body on a short bed reg or extended cab f150 frame, and stretch the body a few inches between the fender tubs and rear seats?

Is it really worth all that work for a sliding back window? :scratch:

The reason some chops look bad is becuase the rear "bed" is too small so it ends up lookin funny.

Back