• Register Today It's free!

EX Radio Wiring...

OLDJIMMYBONES

Reaction score
City, State
LI, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
I just installed a aftermarket radio, and it works good but when i turn off the car all the presets/settings reset. the radio works on accessory and when started, so i think its hooked up right....

i used this to wire to

Wiring Harness Information:

Constant 12V+ Green/Purple

Switched 12V+ Yellow/Black

Ground Black/Light Green

Illumination Light Blue/Red

Dimmer n/a

Amplifier Remote Blue

Antenna Right Front

Front Speakers 5" x 7" Doors

Left Front (+) Orange/Light Green

Left Front (-) Light Blue/White

Right Front (+) White/Light Green

Right Front (-) Dark Green/Orange

Rear Speakers 5" x 7" Rear Doors

Left Rear (+) Gray/Light Blue

Left Rear (-) Tan/Yellow

Right Rear (+) Orange/Red

Right Rear (-) Brown/Pink

its a kvt719

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i tryed switching the constant & switched and the same problem.

i just wanted it on, didnt feel like getting the adapter so i sniped the wires and attached. yea those are the fact wires

Recheck your wires....The constant should be light green. BTW its a 98...correct?

Constant 12V+ Light Green
Ground Black
Dimmer n/a
Antenna Trigger Orange/Blue
Antenna Right Front
Right Front (+) Dark Green/Orange
Right Front (-) White/Light Green
Rear Speakers 5" x 7" Rear Door
Left Rear (-) Tan/Yellow

Recheck your wires....The constant should be light green. BTW its a 98...correct?

Constant 12V+ Light Green
Ground Black
Dimmer n/a
Antenna Trigger Orange/Blue
Antenna Right Front
Right Front (+) Dark Green/Orange
Right Front (-) White/Light Green
Rear Speakers 5" x 7" Rear Door
Left Rear (-) Tan/Yellow

yup, 98 xlt. i used the green/purple for the constant. that my problem? dont think i saw an all light green wire back there

Yep....thats the problem. Should be a light green wire in the harness. If you have a dvm check for 12v on the wire.

no idea what a dvm is but there are like 30 extra wires im sure there is a light green in the somwehere, thanks that was becoming a real pain in the ass

Yea....any metal on the dash will do. If you have any other questions just ask.....:)

Yea....any metal on the dash will do. If you have any other questions just ask.....:)

well if you know anything about amps then:

Amplifier Protection Mode

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i hooked up my speakers and amp, and they works good when the radio volume is around 10 but any higher it goes into protection mode. i got the ground hooked up to the body. (under the spring loaded carpeted flaps the cover the gap when the back seats are down) i sanded the area, so it was nice shinny metal and bolted it (removed a bolt and replaced it after the wire was in)

if not, thanks anyway, you helped a lot now i can have some presets

How is the Amp hooked up? Are you using RCA's from the new head unit or are you using high level inputs...ie...speaker wires from head unit into amp ?

im using rca's from the head + i got all the lvls on the amp all the way down

would hi imput be any better? wile i pop off the dash for the pwr line i could run a set of high input. (i dont really know **** about amps/subs)

No....low level is actually better as you achieve lower distortion and a better quality signal. A couple of things to look at is ........what size amp, what size power wire, what fuse, how the main power wire is connected to the battery, how the remote trigger wire for the amp is connected....just to name a few.

Normally if the amp goes into protection (if a new amp) leads to a power source problem. If its a used amp it may have weak output transistors....but that goes into a whole other world....LOL

its a 4k amp (but its cheap (lanzar) so im guessing it will put out half that) 4ga power, the amp has 2 35w fuese,the main wire it bolted to the main battery harness, the remote is connected to the head, its new out of the box

is it most likly a bad ground spot? the spot was painted black but i sanded it down to shiny metal. i would take a pic but i left my camera in the other car and that gone til 1

Well it sounds like the amp is well grounded. How are the speakers?

Try this tommorow.....turn the gains on the amp all the way down and try the volume on the head unit. iI its still going into protection I would check the speakers or how they are wired.

BTW.....are they 4ohm subs running one to each channel or bridged? Keep in mind that if you have the subs wired incorrectly that the amp will also go into protection.

i got kicker L7's dual coil at 4ohms, but each are wired parallel so there 2ohms per speaker

yea theres one speaker per channel

ill deff give that a try in the morning

no luck i tryed it a little wile ago and same problem

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What level is the Bass Boost at?

Back