Ex-rust-orer, or aka "Rust Bucket" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ex-rust-orer, or aka "Rust Bucket"

doonze

Reaction score
City, State
Fayetteville, Ar
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 X Sport
So my truck was a North Eastern Truck, Virgina to be exact. Really The body could be much worse...

P1050158.jpg

P1050159.jpg

P1050160.jpg

P1050161.jpg

But under the hood.... :( Do you guys think I need to start swapping stuff, is this going to start causing me problems??

P1050162.jpg

P1050164.jpg

P1050163.jpg

P1050169.jpg

P1050165.jpg

P1040950.jpg

P1050167.jpg

P1050168.jpg

Just kinda wondering how other's looks under the hood... Is this bad or am I just being paranoid??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

under the hood wise mine looks pretty much the same and I'm in CT, though I have changed a few things such as the battery terminal ends and other small things since i've got it.

I live in Pennsyltucky, and that's about what my '92 looked like when I sold it. I wouldn't worry about the a/c jobby or the brake booster until they start to give you a problem. It wouldn't be a bad idea to change that power steering hose though.

A good wire brush and some electro jelly will do wonders for your battery clamps. Some rust eater treatment that sprays on and hardens should buy you some time on your body panels.

mines crispy too it lived in Mass. all its life and still does, i wouldn't worry about it

Ok, I guess this can be somewhat normal, other then LOOKING like ass it runs really good. I don't leak a drop of anything, but my valve covers look like crap too, and my exhaust manifolds are mostly just rust anymore, but that's the same for just about every car I've ever owned. I did forget 1 pic...

P1050166.jpg

I'm thinking of pulling the covers and replacing them just because, haven't decided yet, might just pull em, blast em, and paint em up myself.... Ford blue maybe? :)

wow that is atleast one thing we are lucky about here in the south... I never see rusty trucks on the road.... I have a all original 73 Ford F-100 and its not a spec a rust on it.. The paint is faded is all

Might be time for a, "trade in?"

Cash For Clunkers.

Aloha, Mark

Dude! I thought I was looking at my truck! Exactly the same in all the same spots. I've been cleaning my engine compartment every time I go to the car wash with the engine cleaner cycle at the DIY wash and its gotten progressivly better. I live in the Seattle area and have never seen so much rust on a vehicle till this one. But I did just discover that mine spent a fair amount of time in NY. Mine runs really good aswell. Thats why its such a tough pill to swallow.

Just as an update, same week I posted this BOTH my rear break lines decided to let loose due to rust at the T on top of the rear diff. Each had multiple holes from being rusted through. So, the rust has already started causing me problem....but oh well, I still love my truck .

Came upon this old thread and I'm battling a similar situation. Wrenching on a buddy's Ex that make's the OP's pics look clean as a whistle. The problem I'm having is getting the power steering line broken loose. Not on the pump side, the other side. I've soaked it in PB several times over the last 2 days, but I don't think the hex on that nut is going to hold up. I'm honestly not sure I'm even using the right size wrench. There is just so much rust and scale built up. My "hail mary" at this point is snipping the line and driving a socket or external easy out onto that tube nut. I'm not there yet, but it may be coming soon. Anyone have any better ideas on how to get that sucker outta there?

That's my truck too. You got it bad at the gas cap too, I bet.

I keep wanting to make it all nice again, but I don't think it's going to be that kind of vehicle for me. I have replacement rocker panels, I was going to try and weld them in and make it all pretty, but my fender flares are rusting out too, and so on and so on. I think I'm going to sandblast the rust off, hit it with rust-eater paint and overlay the new panels... it will look better than it does now. I believe we call this a beater truck?

I get down to Atlanta every year or two, I think next time, I'll get a one way ticket and drive a southern truck back here to Minnesota.

On the steering hose deal, assuming you collapse the nut, it may collapse the threading too, and it'll twist right out. It could happen! I would cut the tube and get a 6 point socket on it.

Frame off resto. It's the only way to know for sure.

That's nothin. Up here in the Northern plains, we get more rust than that on our plastic parts even.... Rust is good for your truck..... as parts rust and fall off, your Explorer loses weight and therefore gets better fuel economy...... If I bought an explorer with that little rust, I'd almost be tempted to call it rust free.

The only thing I'd be concerned about is the rust on the brake booster/master cylinder. Mine is doing that and I'm pretty confident I'm leaking brake fluid every now and then between the two...

That's nothin. Up here in the Northern plains, we get more rust than that on our plastic parts even.... Rust is good for your truck..... as parts rust and fall off, your Explorer loses weight and therefore gets better fuel economy...... If I bought an explorer with that little rust, I'd almost be tempted to call it rust free.

I was thinking that myself. I'm in Bemidji, MN, by the way. I think we just started on summer gas, my truck seems to have found some extra power this tank.

i used insulating spray foam to fill in rocker panels that rusted through. looks like crap but w
orks wonders to stop the attack of the rust monster.

I was thinking that myself. I'm in Bemidji, MN, by the way. I think we just started on summer gas, my truck seems to have found some extra power this tank.

I used to live further north, but we get the same rust here with 2/3s the winter.

i used insulating spray foam to fill in rocker panels that rusted through. looks like crap but w[]orks wonders to stop the attack of the rust monster.

You can also buy rust converter type stuff, or stuff you brush onto rust to seal and stop surface rust. There is this stuff they sell at the parts store, can't remember the name of it, has about the consistency of runny jelly, works BEAUTIFULLY. There is stuff they sell at wal-mart too that works pretty good. paint it on with a brush, it changes color as it dries and partially seals it. Hit is with some primer/sealer afterward and you are set to go until you paint it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm...seems you are always the one trying to sell the cars I go to look at buying. "Sir, I thought your ad said rust free." Seller - "It isn't?" :scratch:

In all seriousness, feel grateful that you have any metal around the gas filler cap at all. Mine (and everyone I've seen in the junkyard) don't have any left at all. Some of the more creative fixes I've seen are completely filling it with bondo (the guy who had mine before me) and completely riveting on a new piece but leaving exposed rivets so it looks like a battleship (junkyard).

Back