Ex Vs..all other competitors | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ex Vs..all other competitors

The 66-77 Bronc is the Best 4wd vehicle ever made in my book followed by the Land Rover Defender 90.

Jay

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

question? When the hell was the Pathfinder supercharged, you must be thinkin about the X-tera.

And actually the X is pretty quick for a heavy truck (excluding the 4.0 ohv engine.) Like someone said before it all depends on weight, gearing ect.) I drove my friends Durango R/T and didn't like it, it was quicker off the line than my moms 5.0 Mountaineer but ran out of steam high in the rpms., when I raced him he beat me off the line but I caught right up to him and edge out about half a foot in front of him by the next light (not like a kill or anything but I still got him, barely). Plus he has to pay premium gas for only 5 more horsepower above the stock 5.9 engine. And the Trailblazers are actually pathetic for their output, another friend in my dorm has one and it only makes good power almost at redline (who spends that much time in that area in an SUV.) And the engine doesn't have an enthusiastic sound when you floor it which is kinda weird for an inline six engine, it doesn't have the growl of the sohc 4.0 and 4.6 and ohv 5.0 engines. The Trailblazer is better at highway passing than the previous 4.0 and 5.0 Explorer however but not the new 4.6. Now the Beemers and Benz (only the ML55 and ML430) and Grand Cherokees are very quick and fast. The ML430 runs about the same times as both Explorer V8's but don't even think of racing the ML55 unless you have some serious mods. Everyone knows the V8 Cherokees are fast, but if you have driven one you know they have some serious quality issues with them. I have not met one person with a Grand Cherokee (neighbors and people at school) that hasn't had problems with their trucks. Personally I think the previous Cherokee especially with the 5.9 is more reliable than the new ones. The Beemers are excellant trucks though. Another friend (lots of friends with nice cars, huh!) has the 4.4 (one of the best sounding engines aroud) with the sport package. Very fast and comfortable and will put many so-called sports cars to shame when it comes to handling. The only thing is that it seriously guzzles gas (especially with his lead foot) but a very small trade off for the performance aspect. The new explorers are very nice though (just not for serious offroading), although the new V8's are rated slightly lower than it's competitiors it has a very wide torque band that will let it accelerate better than all except the ML55, Grand Cherokee and Beemer which will smoke it. Almost all the road test have the Trailblazer behind the Explorer except for like 2. Look at the motortrend truck shootout last year, they have the Trailblazer to 60 in in 8.5 with the Explorer at 8.7, thats really sad considering the Blazer has a huge amount of horsepower and torque over the Explorer V6 plus the trailblazer had 4.10 gears and the Explorer had 3.73. Yet they said the explorer was sluggish, it should be the other way around considering the Traillazer should have smoked the Explorer. Although both times are on the slow side because they were tested in 100 degree weather. If you want to see a nice review go to Edmonds.com and look at the new SUV comparison, the Explorer came out first. When you compare all the numbers and specifications of the New or Old Explorers you will notice that they are usually near the top of every category, thats why they sell so well. They do everthing very well but don't really excell in any category, theres not another SUV thats as well rounded as the Explorer.

This isn't really being talked about anymore, but a couple posts ago unabonked brought up the new mustang(I dunno how to do quotes)

Anyway, the '03 SVT Cobra 'stang is gonna be sweet.. I'm not much of a new mustang fan.. but this one is gonna be a 390 hp, supercharged, DOHC, 4.6L engine.. Z rated 17" tires, less than 5 seconds to 60... gonna be pretty sweet..and the 6 speed tranny is definately gonna be better than that mustangs they have now, which I hate with a passion...

just thought I'd inject this into the thread

Originally posted by theoutlawtorn14
Anyway, the '03 SVT Cobra 'stang is gonna be sweet.. I'm not much of a new mustang fan.. but this one is gonna be a 390 hp, supercharged, DOHC, 4.6L engine.. Z rated 17" tires, less than 5 seconds to 60... gonna be pretty sweet..and the 6 speed tranny is definately gonna be better than that mustangs they have now, which I hate with a passion...

really? that's cool. i also dont like the mustangs that are out now, but that one sounds a lot better.

what about comparing the Xterra in there with its whopping 210hp WITH the S/C

by S/C do you mean Supercharger, because I think that's what you mean.. and when I thought of 210 horsepower WITH a supercharger I started to laugh

yup 210 hp and 231 or 246 lb ft torque with the supercharger

This can't be good, from now on, whenever I see one of those on the streets and I hear that blower(if I even can) I'll probably start laughing

On a more sad note... I was looking through the new Motor Trend and I went to the specs on the Midsize article and i couldn't help but notice that all of these cars had noticably smaller engines, but a lot more power than my X... made me feel pretty bad...

Outlaw, there are a lot of cars with more hp than the X, but they don't have the torque. That's what are trucks are made for, stump-pulling torque. Not highway burning hp.

As for the Xterra, they whine a little bit, but you can't hear them from a block away like you can hear my Splat ;)

Good point... I looked back at the tables at the end of the article that show displacement, hp, torque, redline, brakes etc... The Impala and Altima still have more torque than my X, which has 220.. The impala only has 5 more ft-lbs. but the altima has 246.. The thing that gets me is the taurus... 3.0L V-6 with 200hp, 200ft-lb...My X 4.0L V-6 with 180hp 220ft-lbs.. why does a 4.0 turn out 20 less hp, but 20 more ftlbs? if you ask me it should have more hp and lots more torque

Actually, my X gets only 160 hp..I just checked the figures and I almost died..I think I need some mods..heh

Build up a OHV and you can smoke a LOT of things. Get everything Alec has, buy out vanair parts, and get to work! you can get a LOT of hp out of your puny v6.

the xterra is more in the realm of the escape liberty, and the dubious aztec. tell ya the truth, it never impressed me much, too flashy and even less areodynamic looking then our boxes on wheels.

while we are on the subject of power, the 4.6 replaced the 5.0 on the 02' V8s right? how do they compare powerwise?

The 4.6 gets 240hp and 280ftlbs, the 5.0 got 215hp and 288ftlbs

espnfreak-it's funny you say that.. I've noticed my X actually doesn't do too bad racing..only thing I ever lot to was a Mercedes SL500, which I saw coming from a mile away..I had it in the low gear but then once the Mercedes got into 4th/5th it took off... I was also able to keep up with a '91 Camaro RS no problem, I haven't had the chance to straight out race him, but I dunno if I will as I'm starting to focus more on offroading then racing, I'll save the racing for when I get the '04 Impreza WRX... gonna have 280HP

The new 4.6 V8 is much better than the 5.0. Don't get me wrong, I love my moms 5.0 Mounty but like any ohv engine it gets too winded in the high rpm range even with mods added on, the 4.6 on the other hand pulls very strongly all the way to redline. The new 4.6 is definitley quicker than 5.0 off the line and will easily beat a 5.0 in a race (the five speed transmission is excellant, it keeps the engine right in it's powerband). Another good thing is just like the 5.0 anything you can use on the 4.6 mustangs will fit the new explorer however 4.6 parts are more expensive than 5.0 parts. Unfortunatley it's getting harder to find parts for the 5.0 (especially some good headers). The 4.6 also has that unique burble that is inherant to the modular engine, it sounds just like a quiet mustang. I posted a topic before about whether I should get an Audi S4 or the new Explorer. My mom and I went to our dealership over the weekend and as much as I love the S4 I still love being in a truck. So she's trading in her truck and were getting a 2002 Mounty and 2002 Ex for me (I like the X's looks better) I'm without a truck right now because she gave my truck to my lil sis.

Just curious if anyone knows about the supercharged pathfinder on the 1st page? I've never heard of a supercharged pathfinder.:confused:

I am seriously thinking of getting rid of my Explorer and going with an Expedition or Excursion. I don't like the newer Explorers, no offense to those of you that have them. Just my $.02

The Expedition looks the same as a explorer, just a little bigger. Havent seen the excursion so i cant say much on that.

The 4.0L in my truck pumps out a breathe taking 155hp, but I still got a speeding ticket within 3 hours of purchasing it. So much for buying it to slow me down. I like the torque ability of the 4.0L but certainly want more, that's why I am dropping in the 5.0L. The truck is well balanced and easy to drive compared to the other SUV's. Who wants a Beattle 4wd (Durango) or a cheaply assemblied Cherokee. The Explorer has always bein the better looking vehicle. I personnelly call my Explorer a truck all the time and believe it to be just that. I can do most stuff that trucks can do and do it in comfort, if that makes it something other then a truck then so be it. As for power, I would prefer a nice flat power curve over a big peak anyday. You can get more done if you can work the same over a longer time than if you just work your ass off for a small amount of time. Just though I would add my .02($1,934,854.99CAN)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All i have to say is the suv is just about dead (atleast there is jeep but i dunno about the liberty with ifs.) Hell the same can be said for most trucks. You Cant find anything except a fullsize with a solid front axle any more. on another note Ive found my 96 sport with the 5 spd to have a fair amount of power. I can chirp the tires when i shift from 1st to 2nd and ive got 31s.

Back