Ex wont start, key/chip is good.. tow driver said it could be PATS related..Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ex wont start, key/chip is good.. tow driver said it could be PATS related..Help

Nuksky

Reaction score
City, State
Washington dc
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
Hello all i am currently experiencing a weird no start situation. The other day i was driving and stopped to get gas so I would not have to the next morning and after pumping my gas i got back in and tried to start my truck and it would not. I thought it may be related to my battery cables i need to replace but they were good and the reading on my dash for my battery was where it should be. I got a friend to jump me since they were near but as i figured, still would not start. It started pouring raining and i waited two hours for a tow. I did not hear the usual whirring sound from the fuel pump when you turn the key to on and was thinking it could be fuel pump related, i read some threads and it mentioned The no sound from the fuel pump and PATS could be related. While i waited i checked and changed some of the fuses for the fuel pump and PATS even though all the fuses were good. When the tow driver tried to start it and it would not he made reference to my anti theft light blinking rapidly and said it is related to that and my key possibly went bad. I did a search and have read all the threads on here about PATS , including the "everything you wanted to know about PATS thread" and have tried several methods to try to get it started as well as figure this out but I got nothing. I called the dealership, Ace hardware, and Walmart to see about getting a key cut. Theu said if their machine could read it they coild make a copy, I stopped at Walmart to see if theie machine could read the key and rule out if it was the key or not..and the guy stated the machine read the chip successfully so my key is good and he could make a copy if i wanted but my key is fine and should work. ..now i am really confused.. Any help is appreciated. I had planned on visiting atlanta for the first time for my birthday this wknd and to scout it as a possible place to relocate..but its probably not meant to be lol. .anyways the information I can tell you is:

I only have one key
After the flashing slows it blinks two times slow and then pauses and then blinks twice again..etc.
No whirring from fuel pump when you turn igntion to
all electronic components work

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey thanks swshawaii, i looked at those threads the video didnt work but it may be my tablet, i am going to check into that as the problem..can that be related to or trigger the anti theft alarm blinking rapidly?

Update: tried but no luck with the fuel reset

I just went through this on my 2001 Sport Trac. Neither key worked; both caused the "theft" light blink rapidly and then blink in a pattern. The pattern didn't match any of the codes from the PATS write-ups. I pulled a PATS transceiver module from an Explorer Sport at Pick-n-Pull (make sure the plug is the same as yours). Viola! $10 fix. :thumbsup:

Hey thanks Cat, wow that simple thats music to my ears lol, so both keys worked after ? Iam asking because i want to make a copy of the one i do have

Both keys worked after, but that won't help you. You will still have to get the the new key's chip code programmed into the ECU. Each PATS key comes with it's own chip code from the factory. The ECU needs to be "told" which chip codes to accept.

Both keys worked after, but that won't help you. You will still have to get the the new key's chip code programmed into the ECU. Each PATS key comes with it's own chip code from the factory. The ECU needs to be "told" which chip codes to accept.

Hey so you're saying that once i replace the module the key i do have will work but if i get another Pats key cut from that one it will not off the bat n i will have to go to the dealer. ? happy 4th btw

Yup. Either a Ford dealer or a locksmith with the right scan tool. If you had two keys, you would be able to add more keys yourself, but with only one key, it takes the special tools. This was so a person with one of your keys (a mechanic, valet, etc.) couldn't make a copy and steal your car later.

Oh okay thanks that makes sense lol ill just work with the one key for now..i was thinking of getting one of those keys online with the alarm/key in one unit combo , will places cut those and/or program it if i provide it? I know they cant gurantee it..or since i was planning on getting remote start i wonder would one of those combo keys be programmable to it..wishful thinking

You should be able to buy the key from whomever you want, but it has to be the right type. There is a chart in one of the PATS threads that lists the type of key that is compatible with each year of PATS. Any locksmith or dealer should cut you a key even if you don't buy from them.

Back