Excesive front wheel camber | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Excesive front wheel camber

Buurman

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, BC
Hi, my 91 explorer has a 4" skyjacker lift and the front wheels have a mean and uneven negative camber /..\ I am not a 100 % sure what causes this but asume its the cuase of screwy coil springs , the camber shims(nuts?) are at full adjustment and the camber is still quite heavy. I have purchased some bigger wheels but would obviously like to sort this camber issue and alignment first.

If new coils could help me here then what am i lookin for, lenght, spring rate and all that? And could i use a different ford models coils? F150 for instance?

Any help would be much apreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did you put the 4 inch lift springs on too ?
that could be the first problem ,you don't use stock springs with a 4 inch lift,

Jip, the lift was done before I owned it but it seems to have been done right, ie. all droped and lenghtened brackets and arms, I'Ts in rough shape though and i think its been there a while! But the coils are definately aftermarket and longer.

The fact that the camber is so uneven leads me to believe that the coils are done, but i am unfamiliar with this kind of stuff, learning though!

I have done balljoints and radius arm bushings, So basicaly I am still wondering if anything else than coils could cause this camber?

I would agree that lax coils would cause your tires to /..\ camber like that. You could either get new coils or just weld up a few washers to use as spacers under the coils. In the thread in my signature (page 8) that's what I ended up doing. Fixed the problem.

Throw a set of f150 seats in it.

I had that problem, and simply corrected with coil springs to lift 5 ", my lift is 4".

Thanks everyone, I'm gona go with new coils so at least i will know i'm starting on a even base. Any sugestions on what brand to go for? What did u use alfilrey?

Skyjacker's 6" coils (pt# 136) usually work quite well on heavier trucks with a 4" bracket set (4-door Ex, Ranger Supercab).

I have those coils on my Ranger w/winch bumper (sits about 4.5" lift)

x2 on the skyjacker 6" coils. That's what I have on my X and the front is stable now at 5".

Just be prepared, the springs don't drop right into that height, my truck was rolling bad positive camber, \___/ , and prerunner style up front for a couple of days while the springs settled in. I ended up doing my own alignment several times as it changed, and finally got a pro one after about three weeks or so.

Seems like everywhere i go tells me that they can backorder the skyjacker coils but it will take a couple of weeks! My local off road shop has some BDS coils for me though, 4" or 6" lift, i am concerned that the 6" will be to much and look odd? The rest of my kit is 4" skyjacker. Guess i could do the 4" coils and just space them if necesary.
Anyone with BDS experience?

Ok, did a bit of research, seems the BdS coils that fit where designed for the bronco II and 83-97 ranger, both vehicles a fair bit lighter than a 1st gen explorer. Guess I will go for the 6" lift spring after all.

I chickened out and bought the 4" lift BDS coils. So we'll see.

coil spring 4"#lift 4"? I did not like that configuration for my X, my lift is RC, with springs Procomp 5", 4" bump stop, better comfort when driving in rough area.

So the bds 4" lift coils ride feels ok,but gives about 4"! Thats good in theory but now the rear(with add a leaf) seems way to low, so i add another, pro comp set (it seems tiny), its still up in the air but tomorrow will tell if it did anything. I am doubtfull.

How the hell do i get fotos on here! Pls make it easier.

And in the meantime i had to swap axels cause my pinion bearing went and i have no experience in fixin that tipe of thing. So i did a swap. Hope it works! All goin up at once tomorrow, another add a leaf, new(2nd hand) axle, 33's , wheels redone, shocks redone, cancer cut out, new brake lines done, dam i hope im did the axle swap right!

Back