Excited about our Ex, less so the dealer... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Excited about our Ex, less so the dealer...

liratoad

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'13 Ex XLT 4x4,4Rnr Trail
We ordered a '13 XLT on May 3. We were told orders go in Tuesday night and get "picked up" by the Ford system on Wednesday morning and we would have a VIN sometime after that with a total wait time of 6-8 weeks. We were fine with all of this. However, when we started asking for status info, we got seriously blown off by the dealer sales manager and purchase manager. First they just said "no new updates" then they simply wouldn't come out of their glass boxes and talk to us. Some other sales person always came out saying "Manager x is in the middle of something. He'll call you back." This call back never happened. Order confirmation? Never got one. Even freaking Amazon gives you a confirmation. Printout of official order? Never got one. DORA? They don't seem to know what that is. Cashed our down payment t check in under 36 hrs though. We did get a written offer with agreed mileage cap on our trade. Finally got too aggravated and started calling Ford directly. They did manage to get us an order confirmation number. Finally. Three weeks for a confirmation number. Our individual sales person called yesterday to say he was sorry, out really our problem has never been him but the mgmt since once we switched from buying off lot to ordering they sort of took over. They have still not called back with an explanation for the delay.

So I've been checking out the forum, which is very cool btw, and now I am finding out that maybe we could still make a change? We have found out that the Thule Hullavator won't work with the factory crossbars. My bad for not checking ahead of time. Got excited...doh! And also, I did not know there was a nav discount. We nixed that option since its a bit pricey but with a discount, we would reconsider. The dealer didn't mention that, or is it only available regionally. Finally, we still don't even know if they put our order in correctly. Has anyone else had to deal with dealer communication issues like this? Sooo excited about our new kid, but really nervous these people are going to muck it up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks JoeDirt. We are just anxious. Most likely everything is fine, but its crazy that I know more about the ordering status of a DVD than of a whole vehicle. I will PM Corey. Thanks for the advice.- Toddy

No problem... Cory is a great resource as a Ford direct rep. Lots of issues, problems, and questions have been answered through Cory vs. the typical stalling at the dealers.

I would work direct with sales rep as he is working for his pay. Demand that he email or fax a DORA so you can see details. If you have not been assigned a build date you should be able to mod order.

Congratulations on your order!

...I will PM Corey. Thanks for the advice.- Toddy
Welcome to the forum and congrats, Toddy! I see your PM in my inbox; I’ll send a reply as soon as I can. :)

...Cory is a great resource as a Ford direct rep. Lots of issues, problems, and questions have been answered through Cory...
Thanks for the huge shout-out, Joe Dirt! :D

Cory

I agree with Gator. They should be communicating with you about these things.

When we bought the Gray Ghost, they went over the printed (not yet submitted) order with us several times just to make sure everything was just was we wanted. Then the went and entered the order into the computer, and before hitting enter, brought the screen printout down so we could re-verify everything again. They emailed us when the DORA came through giving us the order and dealer number. I requested, and was promptly sent, a PDF of our official DORA. They kept in touch weekly to let us know what the progress was.

If your dealer is not giving you the same level of attention, I would give 'em a chance to come around to the correct way of thinking after letting them know I was unhappy with their service. Then, I would get Ford customer service involved, and let the issue escalate as needed until you get the customer service you deserve.

And like Joe Dirt said, with Cory giving us updates, I usually knew what was going on before my sales team had gotten the chance to check up on mine! By the time they called, it was old news to me :)

What should happen vs. what in reality happens are two different things. Especially if the OP is already having issues getting communication through the dealer... I'd have way less patience for someone at the OP's dealership than y'all might I suppose.

With how dealers are continuously kicking footballs through the end zone with this vehicle, why even give them the pleasure of frustrating you?

cory.jpg

^ LOL

You and those pics JD :D

I try... What am I supposed to do at work- work? :D

Finally, we still don't even know if they put our order in correctly. Has anyone else had to deal with dealer communication issues like this? Sooo excited about our new kid, but really nervous these people are going to muck it up.

Toad,

I feel your pain. My dealer played dumb on the DORA as well. After we worked out the deal, they strangley weren't going to give me copies of anything. I picked up my check off the table and had them make copies. I have to believe that there wasn't some underhanded reason for not making a copies originally. I must be the only guy in the world that ever asked.

In the copies they returned with was a Vehicle Order Confirmation (VOC). I didn't notice until a week later that the order number on it was 0000. Turns out it hadn't been submitted yet when he printed it.

Like you, I found this forum after the order was placed. My order was placed on 4/30 but I confirmed with Cory that there was an actual order. To do this I called the dealer and got my order number and confirmed that the order date actually was 4/30. Then I scanned the VOC and got the dealer number. I PMd these to Cory and he confirmed that there was at least an order. I am running on faith that the order is correct but the unsubmitted VOC at least matches the spec that I wanted.

As for the dealer. The whole car buying experience is just odd. I'm sure it must be a challenge to determine what type of buyer you are. Will information spin you out or will it calm your nerves. People aren't always rational. Still, some basic information should be required. After all you did give them a check.

When information is asked for it should just be given. Clearly the dealer knows what a DORA is so why is this an ****ing problem? All that is required here is the straight poop -- no goofiness. Anyway congrats on your order and I hope that it all works out. Keep us posted.

BTW: JD spoken like a true campaign manager. Perhaps his platform needs to be "Straight poop for everyone". Go Cory!

Thanks everyone. Since95, sorry to hear your dealer tried the same run around. Just not sure why we cant have any transparency. Ironically, all this worry over the Explorer and our Fusion is feeling like the ignored middle child...tonight we wound up 80 miles from home with no brake fluid and a strange rattling from the drivers rear assembly. Driving home now...limping home actually. Glad to have a little life left on the extended warranty. First time we've had any real problems with the Fusion. Hope she's okay; she's always been good to us. I did send a message to Cory and frankly, cruising around the forum has been a great diversion. Now fingers crossed for hubby and I making it down the highway!

All you need is Cory. You don't even need your dealer.... Cory just needs your order number and dealer number. Cory will then direct you to Mr. Etis....

:chug:

...tonight we wound up 80 miles from home with no brake fluid and a strange rattling from the drivers rear assembly. Driving home now...limping home actually.

I hope you aren't driving without brake fluid. Be careful and make it home safely.

.... Cory just needs your order number and dealer number. Cory will then direct you to Mr. Etis....

Is there some way to use Etis without a VIN #? :dunno:

I meant Cory would give you a vin and THEN direct you to Mr. Etis....

;)

Crap. I thought that there was some magical service manager back door hack that got you in with only an order number, dealer code, and a grilled cheese sandwich.:D

No worries I'm outta bread anyway.

I hope you aren't driving without brake fluid. Be careful and make it home safely.

Thanks, Since95. We grabbed a couple of bottles of brake fluids and were very careful on the way home. Unfortunately, I needed to be home for work at 4 am and getting home was imperative. The rattling is really bad now and the source of the noise is less distinct. Car pulls badly to the left when braking. Going to park the Fusion until we can get it in for service. Guess I'll have to endure driving the 5.0 for a couple of days:D Always a silver lining I suppose.

So, what is Etis? If I can get somewhere in this process with a grilled cheese I am IN! Got some Emmenthaler and smoked Gouda in the fridge or Brie with apples and a little powdered sugar is also sublime.....ummmm, cheese......

The magical wizard of Etis can be found here. Etis of Oz

Click on the vehicle tab at the top of the screen.

If you type in your VIN you will be granted a heart, courage, or wisdom about your explorer. So I'm told. I have no VIN so I must wait outside the gates until the guardian grants me a VIN and the green spectacles.

BTW: I have an '07 Silver Oak that is crying out for all that cheesy delight.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

Also ETIS isn't that impressive, I found syncmyride.com more informative once I was given a VIN# and could sign up on there. Both will tell you when your car was built, except Syncmyride.com will do it a few days sooner (at least that was my experience). ETIS will give you this strangely cryptic description of everything that is and is not on your car, which is good for a quick chuckle, but that is about it :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...And like Joe Dirt said, with Cory giving us updates, I usually knew what was going on before my sales team had gotten the chance to check up on mine! By the time they called, it was old news to me :)
...Go Cory!
All you need is Cory...
VinceL, Since95, & RonJrSVCMGR,

Thanks so much for the accolades! :)

That’s just awesome, Joe Dirt! :D

...I did send a message to Cory and frankly, cruising around the forum has been a great diversion. Now fingers crossed for hubby and I making it down the highway!
My fingers are crossed too, liratoad; be safe! I also shot you a reply. :thumbsup:

Cory

Back