Exhaust advice.

97Mountuneear

Reaction score
City, State
Fayetteville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer
Greetings all from Fayettenam,

I'm new to the site...I've a 97' Merc Mt'eer for quite some time and am starting to make a few improvements.

I wanted to get some feedback on the exhaust system. Specifically looking to improve performance/sound without going all the way with a complete dual exhaust system.

Can I go with adding a performance muffler to the stock system?

...something like a cherry bomb, flowmaster etc??

Basically want to spice it up a bit with a K&N filter, exhasust improvements so I welcome any feedback..Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

u got a v6 or v8

me i have an 01 sport and i got single in & dual out 40 series flowmasters on it. and like how it sounds.

my sport is the 4.0 sohc engine

I like my MagnaFlow.

I have a Flowmaster 70 on my V6 and really like it. Deeper tone/rumble, but totally tolerable and not obnoxious.

u got a v6 or v8

me i have an 01 sport and i got single in & dual out 40 series flowmasters on it. and like how it sounds.

my sport is the 4.0 sohc engine

It be a V8. '97 Mountaineers only came with a V8. :)

Thanks for the feedback.

It's a 302 with stock exhaust. Right now I'm weighing my options but leaning towards single in, dual out. Looking for something with a nice sound that brings out the V8....But not too obnoxious.

So many choices??

I would go with a Magnaflow Dual 2.25 in single 2.5 out. That's what I have.

The factory muffler is dual 2.25 in single 2.25 out.

Thanks Dan.

I'm going to look into your suggestion.

Does the Mounty have 4 cats like my 2000 V8?

I've had time to scour the mutiple posts on this--lotta good info on here

Based on what I have learned, unless I go with headers it seems almost pointless. I had the exhaust manifolds replaced about 2 years ago because the right side was cracked (surprise!). I went with aftermarket exhaust manifolds but regret now that I didn't look into getting headers. So far the manifolds are holding up (no leaks/cracks), but my dilemma is even with the performance exhaust, gains will be minimal with the "bottlenecked" stock manifolds.

Of course I could always press with the exhaust and upgrade the crappy manifolds in the future...

Of course I could always press with the exhaust and upgrade the crappy manifolds in the future...

Thats what im doing for the time being. Torque Monsters aint cheap.....

I see where we are talking about the 97 mountaineer exhaust and useing headers but noone ask about the heads some had GT 40 heads and some had GT 40 P heads the GT40 P head seem to be hard to get headers and good manifolds for. and trying to exit where the stock manifolds go down the frame without making the exhaust go into the inner fender??? If I cannot find a good sorce for this application I am going to make my own to work on the 97 with the GT 40 P heads and hook to the stock location but I am going to use dual inlet 2.50 and a single 3 inch outlet at the muffler along with all 4 cats. latter

And always looking for new info...
I read the sticky's and new threads.
Sometimes people post links to threads with info that is an update to the sticky.
And it starts new discussions with new members.
And I'm lazy.

Back