• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Exhaust Flange Repair

mbrando1994

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Ex XLT
4.0 V6
Just failed PA inspection due to an exhaust leak at the exhaust flange between the extension pipe and the end of the catalytic converter. The inspection place recommended two flange repair kits bolted together and a new gasket to hold the pipes together. What should I know about this process before beginning, never did any exhaust work. Also, if none of the old flange is still there how will the round new flange grip to the old pipe? Also I'm looking for new bolts to hold these two together, is it ok to reuse the old ones? What if they break?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Tylers02

Reaction score
City, State
Overland Park, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited
If none of the old flange is there they sell flange repair kits that weld on. It's just a small portion of exhaust tubing with flange. I suppose you could just use an exhaust u bolt connector instead of welding. If the flange is shot those bolts are not going to be fun. I'm sure it wouldn't cost much to have an exhaust shop cut off old flanges and weld new ones on with new hardware.

Number4

"I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad."
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
If you have a state inspection, I assume you get a lot of under car rust. I second having a muffler shop do it.

mbrando1994

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Ex XLT
4.0 V6
I ended up tackling it, was able to use a rotary dremel with a cut off blade to cut through the old bolts and u bolts. Turns out the ends of the bolts on the repair kit already in place were actually welded to the pipe itself, very strange. but with everything cut off I managed to get the new flange installed. The bolts I got from the auto parts store were not long enough though, should I just use Grade 8 bolts and nuts from lowes? I'm assuming they have to be spring bolts?

Anthony Peterson

Reaction score
City, State
roanoke, va
Year, Model & Trim Level
Fmr 1987 6cyl 1985 4cyl
Just failed PA inspection due to an exhaust leak at the exhaust flange between the extension pipe and the end of the catalytic converter. The inspection place recommended two flange repair kits bolted together and a new gasket to hold the pipes together. What should I know about this process before beginning, never did any exhaust work. Also, if none of the old flange is still there how will the round new flange grip to the old pipe? Also I'm looking for new bolts to hold these two together, is it ok to reuse the old ones? What if they break?
First time for everything. Is it 2 or 3 bolt flange. Flat or ball? I had to make a fix for my leaking flange. I call it C Flange Bracket. Fyi not spam. Made it in my basement.