Exhaust / Header Replacement... HELP! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust / Header Replacement... HELP!

LowdPypes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wilmington, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Mountaineer
Ok, I am know I am not alone with the leaking pipe going from the passenger side header to the EGR valve. I know that I can replace the pipe but I would rather install a new set of headers cause I want to do this later anyway. So, has anyone done this with the GT-40p heads? I would like to put some chrome shorties or something on there but I need to know what will fit... any takers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only headers available for our 5.0L Explorers are ones from Ford. I'm not even sure if Ford makes them anymore so they could be hard to find. I think there are two different parts numbers for early Explorers with GT-40 heads and later ones with the P heads.

thats what im gonna use. i dont know about the X headers, but thats what my friend had on his 5.0 stang (steedas that looked just like the ones for the X) and before he sold it he ran a best time of 11.2. so, im pretty sure they will support all of the hp you want.

no one makes header for the v8 explorers any more.

never say never...

There has to be something out there that is better than stock or FMS headers. I have the Steeda catalog and the only thing I see in there are GT-40 headers and everyone has those. I need the GT-40p headers. If anyone is interested in have a few sets of custom ones like Troll has then there may be some money in it for them, not to mention I know of tons of people who would want them. but who...

for what ever reason they are not listed in my Steeda catalog (its is kinda old) but they are on their website. if they have discontinued them and still have them listed on their site, im gonna be pissed.

so sad!

I called today, only to find out that they ARE discontinued... BUT, I found another place at www.oemfordparts.com and they have the GT-40 "P" headers there in a shorty style which is what I am looking for... anyone ordered these from them before?

Here's the Part Number: M-9430-P50

oh, i just remembered! i was in my local speed shop a while back, and was gonna get the guy to order me a set from JBA. he talked to a rep. from JBA on the phone while i was in there. the JBA guy said they dont have one specifically for the X, but they have one from some other vehicle that will fit fine. (didnt say which one and i didnt get a part #). the JBA guy also said they dont make headers for the X because when they dyno'ed the X with their headers it only made 5 hp over stock.

If those fit I would order them right away. But they are designed for mustangs and such so i don't know if they'll clear our tight engine bays. If you look at pics of the FMS headers for 96 Explorers the front tubes go up and over the rear tubes for clearance. These all go under so they probably won't clear.

Only 5HP over stock doesn't sound like its worth $250. But then again, when we start adding superchargers and Cams we'll probably need the extra flow. On a stock Explorer engine with the GT-40P heads its no wonder they only made 5hp. The cam isn't designed to make highend power first off and also the P heads only have a 1.45" exhaust valve. With a E cam and 1.54" exhaust valves and headers the Explorer engine would prob scream compared to stock.

JBA makes headers for OHV's only. So, if you have an OHV you got a choice between BBK and JBA at Truck Performance:

'98 Explorer OHV Headers

Back