exhaust help...

CALDWELL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia Airport, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 V6 Silver XLT
does anyone have a picture of the underside of a STOCK 3rd GEN ?????

i would like to check out what the exhaust looks like on a STOCK 3rd GEN...

please if you have a pic or if i could be reffered to a link with pics of what im looking for would be great...

thanks boys

Danny

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a pic somwhere, but it just looks stock.
21_-_Exhaust_Muffler_1.jpg

Actually, that one is an aftermarket muffler replacing the stock one - nothing else was done though. The stock muffler is about twice that length and big and round.

She's not exactly stock, but the exhaust is for the next couple weeks. ;)
Picture151.jpg

She's not exactly stock, but the exhaust is for the next couple weeks. ;)
Picture151.jpg

That is such a cool way to get an underneath shot of the truck!

LOL.. I'll haveto get it taken while I'm on more of an angle next time so we can get a more detailed pic. :D

RB that pic is awsome !!!!!!!

o i forgot to give some more credit where its due...

thanks JCUZ !!

ive seen those pics the other day - the one of you plowing through the mud with all that spray is so sick looking !!!! who ever took those pics deserves another HIGH FIVE lol on getting that timing so good !!!

RB - if you know anyone with a pic of our underbody that may have a full shot of the exhaust ( i need to find exactly where the exhaust runs along the chassis ) because a friend of mine makes custom exhausts for a truck performance shop, he will do a stainless steel CAT BACK for 250$ !!!

one last thing... i thinking about the FLOWMASTER 40 SERIES for the muffler... opinions ???

thanks alot,
Danny

Can't beat that price.
Nothing wrong with Flowmaster for sure. :thumbsup:
I don't know of any pictures like that, but I can take some tomorrow if you really need them.

your are the bomb !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that would be so awsome !!!!!!!!! if you could post them in the thread...

cause im actually going to pick out what kind of muffler i want tommorow and if i could bring him the pics ahead of time, holy wow that would be perfect...

thanks alot man !!!

Is it a 4.0 or a 4.6?

SAMs01. thanks for your input brohiem lol...

i think i will be getting the 40, but before i commit 100%...

has anyone used another series flowmaster ??????

i just wanna see all my options...

keep the suggestions rolling ! i appreciate it

Danny

caldwell previous owners of my 01 sport had the 70 series and i didnt like the sound cause it was to quiet.

also everyone told me the 70 series is the quietest flowmasters. Now since I got dual 40 series flowmasters big difference in sound i love it. It sounds real loud and deep for a 4.0 sohc engine.

I still got the stock 4 cats on my sport but eventually wanna get rid of like 2 of them.

i also forgot to tell u my tips are 2 1/2 inch tips i was thinkin of gettin 3 inch tips but i dunno yet. Everyone on the forum says 2 1/2 is better if i get bigger i will loose power and torque.

you actually brought up an issue that had me wondering...

i know in turbo'd cars the bigger the piping the better, but i dont know how big of an exhaust is to big for an explorer application...???

i was thinking either 2.5'' or 3'', but i deff wanna get a small HP / torque gain out of the exhaust besides the beast sound lol

can anyone advise me of what size would be optimal for HP/Torque gain as small as it would be - any gain is still a gain...

thanks boys !!!!

Danny

you actually brought up an issue that had me wondering...

i know in turbo'd cars the bigger the piping the better, but i dont know how big of an exhaust is to big for an explorer application...???

i was thinking either 2.5'' or 3'', but i deff wanna get a small HP / torque gain out of the exhaust besides the beast sound lol

can anyone advise me of what size would be optimal for HP/Torque gain as small as it would be - any gain is still a gain...

thanks boys !!!!

Danny
My local exhaust man is an ex dirt track racer, so knows a bit about cars generally. His advice to me was not to go bigger than 2.5" single on my 4.6, and given there's little power difference between the 4.0 and 4.6, I'd say that would apply to the 4.0 as well. You could probably get away with running dual 2", but for cost and ease of installation, I would go with the 2.5". Stock system is a mixture of 2" and 2.25", so 2.5" is a reasonable upgrade. The best single thing you can do is replace the huge main muffler with something straight through and smaller - the sound gain is awesome, and it doesn't hurt power either.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

JCUZ - thanks for the words of wisdom dude !!

i hopefully will be getting a flowmaster 40 or 44 muffler 2 1/4 inlet to 2 1/2 outlet then 2 1/2 pipe from there out...

i have to look to see if they make that size but, im sure there is...

Back